Hot Sunday=Hot Garage Sale Finds

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Too hot for MDing in Chicago (at least for me) and went to several garage sales. The nice old ladies in my first visit had great old stuff for sale and had sold most of it. Got several old tools and a rare 1949 encased wheat penny from the Kiwanis Circle. Paid 5 cents for it, but one like it is offered online for $17.95 :icon_thumright:

They also sold me 3 nice silverplated baby spoons for just 10 cents all three :headbang: One of them is a souvenir spoon from the Kensington Palace Hotel in London. The spoon reads E.P.N.S Elkington for maker's mark. EPNS stands for Electroplated Nickel Silver and it was a process invented and patented in 1838 by the Elkington brothers in Birmingham, England. Nice score! The second spoon has B & O stamped on the front (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) and is marked Reed & Barton Triplex on the back. The B&O line was one of the oldest railroad companies in the nation and operated from 1830-1987. Another great piece of history. The baby fork reads Tudor Plated Oneida Community, probably from the 40's or 50's.

In another location I got a barely used 1973 Schwinn exercise stationary bike for just $5. Saw one online selling for $125 :hello2:
Not bad for a hot day in Chitown!

Attachments

• 7-10-11 Finds2 001.jpg
    7-10-11 Finds2 001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 758
  • 7-10-11 Finds2 004.jpg
    7-10-11 Finds2 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 768
  • 7-10-11 Finds2 005.jpg
    7-10-11 Finds2 005.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 760
  • 7-10-11 Finds2 006.jpg
    7-10-11 Finds2 006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 758

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do those exercise bikes actually sell? I know you saw one listed online for $125, but there is actually a history of them selling?

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
bazinga said:
Do those exercise bikes actually sell? I know you saw one listed online for $125, but there is actually a history of them selling?

This exercise bike, although it could still give anyone a great cardio, are basically sold as collectible items due to the famous brand name. I have no idea if they have a history of sales for that purpose, but I have a friend who collects Schwinn bikes and will ask for his opinion on it. I will post on it later.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat the Schwinn for $5 regardless. I like the spoons even if they are only plated, they are collectible. I also like the encased cent. I picked up one myself a couple weeks ago in a small coin lot I purchased for $2.

6-20-2011 7;23;13 PM.jpg

Attachments

• 6-20-2011 7;23;13 PM.jpg
    6-20-2011 7;23;13 PM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 592

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to yard sale up here on Saturday... Found a teaspoon with a Canuck Loonie glued on it... one of those treaspoon type of things... Paid 25 cebts for it..

Left the spoon on the dash in the sun and viola.... off the Loonie came.

Bartholomewroberts

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
You can't beat the Schwinn for $5 regardless. I like the spoons even if they are only plated, they are collectible. I also like the encased cent. I picked up one myself a couple weeks ago in a small coin lot I purchased for $2.

Oh yeah,the spoons are collectibles. The one marked EPNS Elkington has a lot of potential. I love the coins from your lot. Do I see two penny mis-strikes or are those replicas?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberborikua said:
diggummup said:

Oh yeah,the spoons are collectibles. The one marked EPNS Elkington has a lot of potential. I love the coins from your lot. Do I see two penny mis-strikes or are those replicas?
they make misstrike replicas?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
cyberborikua said:
diggummup said:

:dontknow: Not that i've ever seen, collector value not high enough to replicate.

cyberborikua0- yes they are off center strikes probably worth a buck each or so. The encased cent is a local long defunct liquor store. The other coins are 3 British pennies 1897, 1913 & 1944, a 1966 5 dong from Vietnam, (a go with for my Vietnam tokens), and a 1859 Canadian cent.

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
cyberborikua said:
diggummup said:

:dontknow: Not that i've ever seen, collector value not high enough to replicate.

cyberborikua0- yes they are off center strikes probably worth a buck each or so. The encased cent is a local long defunct liquor store. The other coins are 3 British pennies 1897, 1913 & 1944, a 1966 5 dong from Vietnam, (a go with for my Vietnam tokens), and a 1859 Canadian cent.

Very nice stash of coins. Love those misstrikes. Never seen two similar ones like yours. HH

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some unique finds. I love the baby spoons, especially. The bike is really cool.

apush

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
apush said:
Those are some unique finds. I love the baby spoons, especially. The bike is really cool.

apush

Thanks apush. I love the baby spoons too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread