Hourly Profit Rate

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Hello all,

I've done some metal detecting on Florida beaches as I grew up there. But now I live in Missouri. :(
Anyway, my best thinking is telling me to find cheap air fare to Florida a couple of times per year for a few days at a time to treasure hunt the Clearwater Beach area on the West Coast. My question: can anyone share any statistics they've generated or come across regarding hours logged vs. profit. For example, someone may say that for every 100 hours hunting, they make an average of $1400 gross.
Any answers would be great! Thanks.

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Speaking for myself I don't hunt for profit. Sure I like gold in my scoop, I take home all the change I find, but the reason why I do this is for the thrill of seeing whats next in my scoop! Others my have there own reasons. That to me is what makes this hobby so fun. If I needed the money, I shouldn't have bought the 10th detector costing 1200 bucks in the first place???? steve

ghiotom

Feb 6, 2010
Buried Crap NJ said:
Speaking for myself I don't hunt for profit. Sure I like gold in my scoop, I take home all the change I find, but the reason why I do this is for the thrill of seeing whats next in my scoop! Others my have there own reasons. That to me is what makes this hobby so fun. If I needed the money, I shouldn't have bought the 10th detector costing 1200 bucks in the first place???? steve

My sentiments exactly, except I'm only on detector #2.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born & raised in St Pete, FL... moved to Springfield, Missouri (Misery? sp?) for college for 6 years... now I've moved back to St Pete again. If you're in it purely for the profit, I doubt you'll ever be satisfied. Of course, the more time you put into the hobby, the more good items you'll likely find. Because of my job & life, I personally don't have the time many seem to have to dedicate to hunting. I'm sure those who spend all day, every day, doing what they do best come home with many great trinkets... it's just fun when I actually have time to get outside. What I find is just the bonus to a relaxing day doing what I love. :)

Bran <><

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearwater beach is one of the most heavly hunted beaches....

100 hours is hunting 12 hours a day for 8.15 days straight.....Your dreaming if you think your going to find that much gold consistently......You may not find a gold ring in 100 hours, or you may find 1 ring worth 4 times that in a day, you just can't really tell or count on a ratio like that. Now maybe if your hunting the French Riveria, or you find a really popular beach where no one ever hunts,.... then maybe..........

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Let's say you could hunt 8 hrs a day without being sunburned, bug-bit, dog-bit, cut by glass or scrap, or run of by looky-loos. That's 12.5 days to make 100 hrs. That is doable.

Expenses:

cheap food for one grown man (2 meals in a beach town)- $20 per day X 12.5= $250

sunscreen - $8 for something effective

batteries - two 9 volts X 3 reloads (based on 33.3 hrs per set) -6 total X $4= $24

gas to and from the beach say 2 gal if your friend is close- 2X13=26 X $2.50 = $65

extra cheap airfair- $200

extra cheap detector that won't work well in wet sand- $250

So let's say $797 dollars out of pocket if you don't do anything else at all on your warm weather vacation.
That's $7.97 an hour you must make and save to break even. I average (I'm not that good) $0.37 an hour.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Pockets didn't tell you is that I was in same water, just as deep about 30 feet behind him moving the same direction as he was ........Grrrr $#@#$&**%##....:BangHead:......LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
:laughing9: :laughing9:
First come !!! First Served !!! :laughing7: :tongue3: :notworthy:

That's what he says---------->
great20white_thumbnail.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
What Pockets didn't tell you is that I was in same water, just as deep about 30 feet behind him moving the same direction as he was ........Grrrr $#@#$&**%##....:BangHead:......LOL

In other words, Pockets stole it out of your scoop. :laughing7: My brother in law always accuses me of this.

As for making a profit from detecting it is possible for a short amout of time. However you would average more "profit" working at a fast food joint. Most of us hunt for the thrill of finding something an the excitement of getting some gold in the scoop. After you figure in your time, cost of equipment, gas and extras, it comes down to having fun or are you working? :icon_scratch:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you were to vacation this past winter, you would most likely be in the negative $$$. This has probably been the deadest winter season I've seen in years.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
If you live in Missouri, start detecting in Missouri.

Some of my most interesting finds have been in and around small swimming holes in Northwest Arkansas and southern Missouri.

Not many people detect these areas, and they can be filled with treasures.

Especially during the winter when the lakes are drawn down.

Check the public beaches in the state parks, corp of engineer parks, boat ramps, popular canoe launches and landings, under old iron bridges, and the blue water swimming holes (look for tire swings).

These places will be a lot closer than Florida, and will be less hunted, and likely you'll find more.

Bill

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
why does everyone want to turn this into a job. it obviously dont pay on a regular basis or everyone would be doing it. to do it u need the right rather
expensive equipment. and quick access. for every hour i spend at beach
at least 2 or 3 gettin there n parking details n gettin back.

check out fatheads post.. and i think he was on the low side

the idea is GO HAVE FUN and IF u find anythingreat iz a bonus

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a Hobby I enjoy , ofcourse if you ask the Red Head she will tell you I'm addicted , but to me it's all fun an the day I have to worry about making a profit I will stop because the fun will be gone .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread