Hovenweep

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me and the Wife wanted to get away last weekend so we hooked onto the camper and took a roadtrip. One of the highlights was Havenweep ruins in the canyon of the ancients area. If you are ever in the area make sure to stop and spend a few day's. It is a trip in itself. Here are a few photos from near the visitors center. The eroded boulder house is very neat to see it looks like an alligators head with a home built inside. Also in the photo of the square house a Raven stuck around with us for a long time. Nobody else was in the park and it had a very powerful yet peaceful feeling. I only wish I had a time machine.

20200619_193419_resized.jpg 20200619_191243_resized.jpg 20200619_190214_resized.jpg 20200619_190106_resized.jpg 20200619_192532_resized.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I missed that one, always wanted to visit it, and see the towers. Utah is great, so many sites. Beautiful country.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place. Can't blame them for living there!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to be able to just walk on that ground. Amazing how it has lasted so long!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
awhile back my son and i were the only folks at Chaco Canyon...we had the full on one on one ranger tour. I'll take Pueblo Bonito over Mesa Verde any day. 4 corners can't be beat.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awhile back my son and i were the only folks at Chaco Canyon...we had the full on one on one ranger tour. I'll take Pueblo Bonito over Mesa Verde any day. 4 corners can't be beat.

When I toured Mesa Verde, many years ago, you could still visit Cliff Palace on your own. No more, ranger guided only, and long waits I’m sure. The best move I made, before leaving the next morning, was to make sure I made the earliest morning guided hike to the spectacular Long House ruin. I think there were only 5 of us that early in the morning, and I got great photos, with no tourists cluttering the frame. I agree, Chaco is a special place, more out of the way, fewer make the drive in....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions