Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
silver rings ( or anything silver) will sound like a high tone on your detector, and should be pretty easy to find. gold on the otherhand, will sound off in the junk/ pulltab range, so to find gold you will have to dig some junk and use low discrim. hope this helps.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea cuz i dig up everything anyway...well at least most of the time

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Bobby S said:
yea cuz i dig up everything anyway...well at least most of the time

thats not a bad habit to get into bob! yeah, your gonna dig a lot of junk, but you wont miss much either! ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are probably ten rings lost in or near water for one lost in the grass. If you keep searching in the places where the most people have been enjoying the water, the odds are better at finding a ring. Natch, don't discriminate out pull tabs as Hollowpointed said.

Keep the coil level with the ground and overlap some so as to not miss any ground. Get out often. Good Luck!

Sandman

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just the guy to tell you all about rings because I almost never find any.

It's all about location and low discrimination (hey, that rhymes!).

Sandman and a few others on here find enough rings to furnish the Fox Jewelry company. These guys hunt for rings, that's why they find them.

How'd I do guys?

Badger

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In recent years I've had a dozen treasure huntin trips to FL beaches and IMO, the ring is the most prized find. The grand prize for a trip to the beach! But I say they're hard to find! The Sandman offers good advice.

I've found only 3 rings in the sand but each riing I wear on my fingers everyday. I've got 3 bare fingers and 2 bare thumbs. I hope someday to wear a ring find on each finger/thumb! :o

Attachments

• Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 424
  • west palm 10.05001.JPG
    west palm 10.05001.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 423
  • St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 419
  • west palm 10.05001.JPG
    west palm 10.05001.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 434
  • St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 426

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Finding rings is a bit of a challenge but with a little bit of research you can increase your odds considerably. Finding rings down at the beach can be helped by watching the sand movement, if a lot of sand has been shifted and you are finding old coins that tells you that there will be some rings there.What has happened is deep coins and jewelry which were previously too deep for detectors to reach are now shallow and can easily be detected as well as rings which have sunk down in the sand.Look out for deep gutters, and newly exposed rock areas where the sand has washed away.Study some old pictures of the beaches and see where the crowds used to hang out.Most ring finds down at the beach are at the waters edge in less than 2ft of water. look for low tides and go along the waters edge.Make sure you dig all signals, dont use any discrimination, only reject iron.I have got gold rings which indicated alfoil and gave very weak signals. Watch the weather fore casts if there has been a storm along the coast go down along the waters edge,and also lookout for those gutters,if you see a great deal of shells and old crustaceans laying on the beach detect amongst them, these would have been dug out by the water as well as other jewelry items. Detecting rings in parks is more difficult in that there is a lot more rubbish targets,but dig all targets indicating around ring pull.So you might have to dig 50 ring pulls but if it means finding a nice gold diamond ring it is worth it. good luck with your hunting seeya Neilo ;D
good.jpg

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Neilo,

Good Tips! Thanks for sharing. I have a treasure huntin trip planned Oct. 24 and will be stayin 5 nights in Naples. I know your tips will help! Particularly,

dig all signals, don't use any discrimination, only reject iron.

lookout for gutters, if you see a great deal of shells and old crustaceans laying on the beach detect amongst them, these would have been dug out by the water as well as other jewelry items. 8)

P

PlanetExpress

Not the original poster, but thanks to everyone for sharing these tips. I've been pulling junk for my 1st 8 hours. Hoped to at least find something kind of interesting. I'll try incorporating these tips. I think I'm in the wrong area. I should hit Jones Beach or some big beach like that probably. I've just been around a Long Island north shore beach that isn't very crowded.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of my tricks for finding rings
is running along side lines(follow the white line)soccer bball feilds
stand on it xtend your coil shaft as far as it will go
sweep it to the left and right of the line (and across the line)
should get at least 7-8 feet of sweep coverage
ive found about 10 rings that way (in 18 months)
also playgrounds are good around the swings and slides ;D

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more you hunt the more you find. My collection isn't worth a whole lot but it sure is nice to look at. These were found in a 18 month period. All of these were found in parks except 5 of them (these 5 were found at the beach but not in the water). If you dig every signal you are bound to find them.

Attachments

• allrings3.jpg
    allrings3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 297

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread