How bout 7 new cellar holes...does that count?

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did some map scouting a few months back using a 1930's aerial overlay.Found an area that looked interesting and pulled about about 15-20 GPS co-ordinates of the most interesting features and plotted on a Google map. Had some unexpected time off from work today, played a little mental ping-pong...detector play or homework. Homework won!

Parked the car, tried to plug in UTM (stupid me forgot how) of location that I was certain was a building present in the 30's and just hit the woods. Found an old double track trail 200 yards in and started following it drifting around through the woods whenever a likely spot drew me closer. About 1/3 mile in, after meandering around what seemed like a "perfect" area for a homesite,found my first. The trail had grown very faint, but I continued on. 200 yards further...stopped dead by the worst tangle of Russian olive, vines and briars I've ever encountered. Not a little patch to be skirted, but a wall of death waiting to rip to shreds any soul that dared to enter and then consume them. No problem, backtracked a couple hundred yards and just started bushwacking on the first of several legs to get me around this mess and to my target. Was eyeballing a large stone wall as I made my way through the woods looking for intersecting walls or gates. A few hundred yards further along, BAM wall gets about 6 feet high. I work my way over and discover that it becomes the foundation of what appears might have been a barn nestled on this little rise. I scurry up the top and discover a HUGE (6-7' dia)Ash tree. Not really expecting anything more, but intrigued by the look of the surrounding land, I continue to look investigate and find another cellar hole and then a stone stair case and remnants of another foundation and pillars set into the side of another little rise. These 3 within approx 100 yards of each other.

Continue in the direction of my target destination, bobbing and weaving and pickup another very faint double track trail and find 2 more cellar holes after investigating where several walls met or there was a pronounced gate. I realized I was now skirting what I guessed was a field back in the 30's and although it's borders were thickly grown in, I was able to punch through. I knew I was within a few hundred yards of my target, now my way was blocked by a small pond. Skirt along the edge about 100 yards,find what I think is a stone wall. 30 feet away, another "wall" running parallel? Follow it down just a bit and realize that this too, is a foundation (complete with some farm implement sticking halfway up out of the ground). I was thinking this is my target destination.Little puzzled though as it seems very "grown in" for a place that was active 90 years ago. I look at GPS and realize that I am still 150 yards away.

I look around a bit and discover another VERY faint double track trail leading in the right direction. I start to follow and within 50 yards need to be crawling on hands and knees. Continue another 50 yards and BAM! stopped dead by another wall of death tangle. Late now, time to head back. LOL, I never even made it to my destination!

I can't believe my luck! Many signs indicate these cellar holes to be MUCH earlier than 1930's. While I can't say for certain right now, they seem very similar to a colonial era lost village that me and a buddy are currently searching. Detecting will definitely have to wait until fall/winter because of all the undergrowth, but several more discovery missions are already being planned.

For those of you who have made it this far...THANKS for allowing me to share my excitement. I know this post doesn't contain the usual shiny, or glittery, or intriguing baubles you come to expect... but these words are intended as my way of thanking ALL of you who have been so generous and kind in sharing your wisdom. Though my detector never saw sunlight today, I am SOOO much richer than when I awoke.

The season is upon us, and I can almost feel the whiz of all your detectors scouring the earth for those elusive beeps and that is just the way it should be, but...DON"T FORGET TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you shall be very busy for some time, good luck on your hunting.

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! I just did the same thing with my county and an 1871 map, found 600+ SPOTS! I'm gonna be busy for quite a while :D

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I just did the same thing with my county and an 1871 map, found 600+ SPOTS! I'm gonna be busy for quite a while :D
WOW, I can't even comprehend how difficult that must be trying to keep all that info in your head...if you ever want to relieve some of the pressure...just PM me. I would be more than willing to help you out.:laughing9: HH

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the kind words and happy hunting to you!!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT IS AWESOME MAN! Congrats on doing such good homework! A+ for sure eh? Hope that site(s) are chock full of cool finds for ya! If you have the time, post a map (no name or coordinates of course!) or sketch of the overall area along with some pictures. Be neat for the rest of us to see what you are describing. Good luck!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
take some pics next time you go out there!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im ages.jpg good-luck-desi-glitters-321.gif

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ride. I love researching spots & then trying to find them.

I use this site (Mobile apps, printed maps and trip planning tools for outdoor enthusiasts | Trimble Outdoors) for plotting my hikes. Right now they are trying to resolve an issue where you can input your GPS coord's into the waypoint & it will then drop right where you want to hike out to. Also good to get you back to your car if you get lost.

Looking forward to your finds & pic's!

HH!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seven cellar holes and how many ticks?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post some finds. And while we're waiting for you to hunt those 7 sites, post some finds from your colonial village.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread