How can affect the beach erosion when I hunt on the beach?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
architecad said:
Is it possible the erosion put more sand over the lost rings and silver chain when I metal detecting?

Arch

Unfortunately yes it is possible, there are times when sand from erosion in one area is deposited at another location on the same beach...I have seen storms where you hoped the waves would take sand off the beach and instead more sand was brought in on top of what was there to begin with, not taken off.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens too on inland waterways. I have a beach near me that sees a lot of summer time action from lots of swimmers. Because of the wave action coming from mainly one direction the swim area over the years has changed with sand piling up from the left side of the beach to the right. What was once four foot deep water on the right side is now two foot deep in the same spot. Granted this took two years, but it is inland.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Here on the First Coast, we recently experienced some high tides (higher than normal) coupled with some storm fronts that magnified the tides. On Vilano Beach, there is a fairly steep grade from the dry to the low tide line. The recent tidal cycle pulled a lot of sand from the dry area (areas where there has not been a tidal influence in over 8 months) and deposited in the wet sand area in front of the low tide line, leveling out the steep grade. Anything in that area will have to wait until the sand is stripped off.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Sandman said:
This happens too on inland waterways. I have a beach near me that sees a lot of summer time action from lots of swimmers. Because of the wave action coming from mainly one direction the swim area over the years has changed with sand piling up from the left side of the beach to the right. What was once four foot deep water on the right side is now two foot deep in the same spot. Granted this took two years, but it is inland.

After all, is there a way to find out an idea of the depth(if it's possible) of any jewelry lost on the water? I think the jewelry drop on water in 1950's should be deeper in the sand than jewelry lost in 1990's? or depend of the erosion? ??? ???

Arch

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Diver_Down said:
The recent tidal cycle pulled a lot of sand from the dry area (areas where there has not been a tidal influence in over 8 months) and deposited in the wet sand area in front of the low tide line, leveling out the steep grade.
Wouldn't that make the dry sand area prime hunting ground now for older items?

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Lasivian said:
Diver_Down said:
The recent tidal cycle pulled a lot of sand from the dry area (areas where there has not been a tidal influence in over 8 months) and deposited in the wet sand area in front of the low tide line, leveling out the steep grade.

I will be in shallow water all time with Hookah. Forget dry sand, too many competitors around.

Arch

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Lasivian said:
Diver_Down said:

Indeed, it has. But there is a ton of competition in the dry. There are very few (hunters) in the area that ventures into the water in St. Johns county. Of course, the waters at Vilano are not for the faint of heart as the currents are ripping and due to the steep gradient (it is still steep in the water), the waves crash hard very near shore.

D

digum smacks

vilano has more sand than a beach after renurishment,in winter the sand gets so piled up theres at least 8 feet of sand piled on the sand thats already there.ive been to spots where there has been 3 feet of sand taken off a beach next day its back on there the next day its off,like a pulse

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
snooksion2 said:
vilano has more sand than a beach after renurishment,in winter the sand gets so piled up theres at least 8 feet of sand piled on the sand thats already there.ive been to spots where there has been 3 feet of sand taken off a beach next day its back on there the next day its off,like a pulse

It definitely is the most dynamic beach environment that I've ever seen. But if you are a regular visitor, you will know where the honey pots are. Best time is when the NE winds are blowing. It will cut and remove tons of sand and deposit them on the south side of the jetty. Southern breezes make the hunts worthless as the sand will indeed be heaped on the beach. Anyone who hunts there, please be cautious of the currents. They can be deadly.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Historical Maps and Charts -- NOAA
Unfortunately sand shifts down/along the beach not in and out to sea. As a result, things can get buried deep fast.

Check out where barrier islands were in the past and compare to current coastal navigation maps today. (West Marine-be prepared to shell out $20 to $35 each) Print what you can from the internet and compare to GOOGLE-Earth. If possible, check out local Historical books & Local Library Archives, regional travel books -- have found lots of good information from those sources. Down here in Texas, Ray Miller, Eyes Of Texas Series is excellent, Townsend and History of Galveston Bay/Texas Coast Shipwrecks etc./ Treasure of Galveston Bay. Go to your local Library and ask where Historical collections are maintained (First-Locate Library-may be university collection or historical society)
Targets were either dropped into the sand -or- migrated in from sea from storms. Try to find old seacoast towns and long forgotten/abandoned ports. Log where you find things on maps to spot areas where shipwreck items are being washed ashore.

If you are in water over your ankles -- wear a life vest -- way too many stories of rip currents and people having problems stepping into deep holes and getting into serious trouble. Not to mention SOME STORIES on here about soft/quicksand holes on beach.
Auto inflate versions $75 to $150, are worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread