How can i clean this silver up?

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
Found this a While ago how can I clean the stains off ??

image-4112634776.jpg

It's 1920 Canadian dime. My first silver:)
Kind of beat up but not worn much

Upvote 0

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find ! I have a could ideas you can try. Simichrome polish is very good on most metals and is gentle also. Otherwise the next best thing is to tumble it. If you don't have access to one, go to a local jewelry store and see if they will tumble it for you for about 15 minutes. That should make a difference. Let me know how it shines up :) Good luck !

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get it wet and drop it in some baking soda and rub it with your fingers works great

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It's more valuable, in that kind of great condition, if you do not clean it.

Clean it, drop it a couple of grades.....

:(

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wvwildman said:
get it wet and drop it in some baking soda and rub it with your fingers works great

+1. Baking soda works great.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I would wait a while before trying to clean it. After you are in the hobby long enough, you would probably understand the coin is more valuable in "as found" condition. Once it is cleaned, you can't get it back.

ONE OLD CROW

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't have a collectable rarity value and you just want to clean it for display ,a quick immersion in Silver Dip and quick rinse in water will remove discoloraions but not deep corrosion. It works well on silver rings and chains.

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't have a high value and is just a normal silver coin baking soda and a little water rubbed between your fingers works great.

OP
OP
BugsyDiggs

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
Maybe I'll leave it and learn to appreciate what nature does. But thanks for the great silver cleaning tips and not cleaning tip also:)

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put water in a bowl, nuke it in microwave to get hot, put piece of aluminum foil in the water then drop half a table spoon of baking soda in, drop coin in, then drop another half table spoon of baking soda onto it. Let sit for 30 sec-1min, longer if you want then take out of bowl and gently rub with fingers and rinse thoroughly.

Did this to a 40% silver half dollar last week that was totally green with corrosion to the point i couldn't even see the date but could tell it was silver. I left mine in the hot water for 5 mins, and when it came out just touched it up with a little more baking soda in hand, and coin is much cleaner and will go into my silver pile now.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't have a collectable rarity value and you just want to clean it for display ,a quick immersion in Silver Dip and quick rinse in water will remove discoloraions but not deep corrosion. It works well on silver rings and chains.
Yup, Jeweluster works great for that. You should be able to find it at most coins shops.

OP
OP
BugsyDiggs

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
I'll check for it around here. I'll be using it a lot I think or hope lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread