How can i determine what year span this spanish half real cob is from?

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine told me he "deep plowed" two portions of his field the other day. Today i took the day off and detected both. Mostly cans with small bits of random copper, lead, and iron scrap. Started off the second portion of the field and got half way through the first row and saw two other friends walking over to me. I kept detecting along the edge of the plowed field as they walked up and got a solid 74 signal on my mxt. This usually means a copper cent or a half real. I told my friends and unplugged my detector so they could hear it. Popped the plug up and moved in with my carrot. Lost it a couple times in the soft dirt and then found a spanish half real cob where i thought for sure a memorial pre 81' cent was going to be. My friends didnt get it. They were slightly amused by the possible age of the coin, but that was about where their interest stopped. Someone please help me figure out when this thing is from. I believe i see a 76 or a 56, or maybe its upsidedown. I dont know please help find the date. I took pics with my loupe. The 1901 barber dime is to compare sizes. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

Upvote 20

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1656 comes to mind

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice indeed, congrats on the Cob!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That will work.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I am seriously buggin out here. This is my first 1600s coin! im ok with this being the only valuable thing i dug up all of yesterday.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me crazy but that looks like 1556 to me. Probably not, but...

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like treasure to me!! What an awesome find - congrats mate! :occasion14:

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me crazy but that looks like 1556 to me. Probably not, but...

I kinda also see a possible 5 next to the other 5 too! It may just be the worn lines playing tricks on me but id love to know what some of the mint marks mean. Could narrow down the date if i knew which king was around or which mint it was from. Supposidly p would be a lima but i dont know that much and im bound to what i can find online, which isnt much and could be questionable. For now ill be perfectly content with 1656! Thanks everyone!

Edit: Honestly, I believe Crusader. Hes got the experience

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks bigger than a 1/2 reale, more like a 1 reale since it is bigger than the dime. Whatever it is, it is definitely a very nice find!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly a 1 reale. Nice looking one too. The date is 1656. I saw 1556 thrown around in here - A century earlier would have been Charles and Johanna silver coinage with a much different design. Congrats on a beauty, and welcome to the 17th century club.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Words cannot explain how ecstatic i am, scrappy. Thanks so much for the info and the welcome into the 17th century club. I just found a decent example on newworldtreasures. Amazing that its a 1 real and not a 1/2! Ive gotten three 1/2s before but my first cob is also my first 1 real! Im seriously buggin right now hahaha

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Words cannot explain how ecstatic i am, scrappy. Thanks so much for the info and the welcome into the 17th century club. I just found a decent example on newworldtreasures. Amazing that its a 1 real and not a 1/2! Ive gotten three 1/2s before but my first cob is also my first 1 real! Im seriously buggin right now hahaha

My first cob was a 1-real as well. They're certainly thick enough not to mistake for a 1/2 reale Cob. I've found both and have also held a few friends. Anyway, killer find. I can no longer hold my 1-real Cob - it's in a museum belonging to a very historic property I did work for.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice of you to donate it to the property, now people can enjoy it for years to come. I may have an issue with this cob though. It weighs only 2.4 grams. Is it correct that a 1/2 is supposed to be 1.7 and a 1 real 3.3?

Edit: after further research (googling) it seems the weight of cobs fluctuates due to clipping or corrupt mint officials shorting the weight. Considering theres still most of the design i would lean more towards the corrupt mint official theory? Does any of this sound legit to you guys?

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a 1 reale. Nice looking one too. The date is 1656. I saw 1556 thrown around in here - A century earlier would have been Charles and Johanna silver coinage with a much different design. Congrats on a beauty, and welcome to the 17th century club.

1656 it is! Thanks Steve

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Cobs are one of my favorite finds and of course 1600's coinage dug from US soil is too. Excellent find - you should be buggin' and ecstatic. Congratulations!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice of you to donate it to the property, now people can enjoy it for years to come. I may have an issue with this cob though. It weighs only 2.4 grams. Is it correct that a 1/2 is supposed to be 1.7 and a 1 real 3.3?

Edit: after further research (googling) it seems the weight of cobs fluctuates due to clipping or corrupt mint officials shorting the weight. Considering theres still most of the design i would lean more towards the corrupt mint official theory? Does any of this sound legit to you guys?

Sounds legit. Shaving and clipping were very common, and likely your Cob lost a bit of weight. That's why, and when, milled coinage began to appear in many countries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread