How can I get them clean?

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Well what exactly is black muck? Is it hard, sticky, crusty, or what?

You can tumble the coins, or electrolysis, or soaking, or........

Lots of ways to go and not all methods work on all coin types. Can you give a few specifics and post a pic or 2 of the coins in question?

Grip

OP
OP
BGB

BGB

Jun 17, 2008
Los Angeles CA, Prescott AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6
I dont know exactly what the black muck is. Its some kind of hard rubbery type material. I will post pics when I get the coins clean. Thats why I asked how I can clean them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Grip has a good question, about - what kind of muck, what kind of coins, etc... The way to clean coins depends on the type (silver, copper, gold, clad, etc....) and the type of crud on them.

For clad, just tumble them in a gravel tumlber thingy, where you can do 100+ at a time :) For silver, I like a product called "Ezest". For copper, try amonia, etc... It all depends on how careful/timid or aggressive you wanna be.

What kind of coins did you find, and their age ranges? And just out of curiousity, were all 400 found in one place (like ... a cache or something), or just randomly around this town? Do tell the story :-*

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say the material is hard and rubbery. Could that be some asphalt compound? A quick test would be to soak a few coins in some acetone. You can buy a small can of acetone at most any hardware store, in the paint section. It's a type of paint remover. If the material covering the coins is asphalt based, the acetone will dissolve it without damaging the coins. Do not clean copper and silver items in the same bath and / or tumbler at the same time. You'll end up with coppery colored silver coins. Use the acetone outdoors as it is very flamable.
If you don't want to invest in a can of acetone to do this test, borrow some nailpolish remover from your wife / daughter / girlfriend / sister , etc. Fingernail polish remover is almost pure acetone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions