How can you tell which s proof halfs are silver .

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Same as any other half dollar : edge check. Luckily, silver proof halves will be 90% silver if made after 1992 so they are easy to check by the edge. Some proof halves were made of 40% in the days of 40% halves ('65-'70, '76). If you don't see the brown ring all the way around, it is silver. If you see any hint of brown, it is Cu-Ni Clad. If you see a blue-grey ring, then you probably have a 40% silver proof, but that ring doesn't always show up...so you can go by the years. When they made 40% proof halves, they did NOT make 90% proof halves, so you're lucky that there is no confusion there.

You can also weigh them. A clad proof will weigh the same as a normal clad. A post 92 silver proof will weigh the same as a pre 1964 non-proof Half, or any other 90% silver half dollar. A 40% proof will weigh the same as a 40% silver half.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
1970-s , and some of the 1776-1976-s are 40% silver. Then starting in 1992 -2011 they started minting 90% silver proofs along with clad ones for the same years. You have to look at the edge.
Hope that helps. Also, buy a cheap coin magazine and it will tell you all you need to know about the coins you are searching for. The magazines are helpful to newcomers.
All the best
rileyboy

db23

Mar 18, 2011
This post is almost completely wrong Dok.

Dok Holliday said:
Same as any other half dollar : edge check. Luckily, Proof halves will be 90% silver, so you won't have the problem of being confused by the Silver on Not-so-Silver cladding of the 40% half dollars. If you don't see the brown ring all the way around, it is silver. If you see any hint of brown, it is Cu-Ni Clad.
The silver proofs between 1965 and 1970 as well as the 1976 were 40% and in fact sometimes do show a copper looking line on the edge. As rileyboy pointed out, the newer proof halves are 90% and will look more like the solid silver edge halves you see on the regular 90s.

You can also weigh them. A clad proof will weigh the same as a normal clad. A silver clad will weigh the same as a 1964 Half, or any other 90% silver half dollar.
A silver clad = a 40% half

So a silver clad should never weigh the same a a 1964 or any other 90% half dollar. It should in fact weigh closer to a regular 40% silver half dollar, which is also silver clad.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Yikes! Looks like my fingers moved faster than my brain. I forgot about the 40% proof years...and had typed one word and thought another. My "clad = proof" error has been corrected. Thanks for catching that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread