how clean old gold with stones??

4helements

Oct 21, 2013
middle of Italy
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & Exc. 10"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, some days ago i found a gold ring with stones and upon its surface there is a layer of hardened sand, i just cant remove it by scraping...
is there some way to get it clean??

thank to all for your help

2014-03-04 23.04.41.jpg

Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure someone will offer a sound method, can't wait to see the cleaned picture. Looks like a very pretty styled ring. Well done

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion The best way to clean that ring would be an ultrasonic cleaner with a mild cleaning solution.

Dig until your arm falls off

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depending what the stone(s) are you should not use an Ultrasonic cleaner.
If you have access to electrolyses I would try it for 15-30 seconds.
If not, take it to a jeweler. Usually most will clean a ring for nothing. They would also know if the stone(s) were safe to be U-S cleaned.
I use Never-Dull or a jewelry polishing cloth to bring the shine back after the sand is removed. Good luck and let us see the ring after it is cleaned.
Thanks

methevas2

Jan 10, 2013
You can clean anyring with an ultrasonic. Now for the type of stone means different ultrasonic solutions. Try a toothbrush with soap and warm water or ultrasonic clean it and look up what to clean whatever stone you have with

OP
OP

4helements

Oct 21, 2013
middle of Italy
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & Exc. 10"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx to everyone for your help, i hope to have it clean soon..and let you see its face..

Thank you

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can clean anyring with an ultrasonic. Now for the type of stone means different ultrasonic solutions. Try a toothbrush with soap and warm water or ultrasonic clean it and look up what to clean whatever stone you have with

It is a definite no-no to put opals or pearls in any ultra sonic cleaning machine. This is a jewelry repair 101 lesson. It is OK for most faceted stones, so it should work on 4helements' ring. It is also possible that a couple day's soak in soapy water will loosen the encrustation so it can be removed with a toothbrush as you mention, and is one of the best options.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis. You can't clean the crud off because it's corroded metal mixed with sand to form a concretion. Electrolysis will break it up quickly.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I've found vinegar to do a fair job with no risks to the stones.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I've found vinegar to do a fair job with no risks to the stones.

I can't imagine vinegar doing harm to any natural stone, except perhaps opal & pearls. I often find junk jewelry with concretion (sand/metal mix). After a few minutes in vinegar the sand falls away. I found a 10k white gold ring with blue sapphires. It had some green tarnish built up on the ring and a soak in salt mixed with vinegar, which produces a stronger acid than vinegar alone, took the tarnish off. Your ring, your call, but I would try a soak in vinegar first, then vinegar and salt if the vinegar did not get it off. Beach Papa

OP
OP

4helements

Oct 21, 2013
middle of Italy
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & Exc. 10"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014-03-09 14.20.46.jpg 2014-03-09 14.20.58.jpg 2014-03-09 14.21.25.jpg

Hello, this is it...
I had to stop cleaning because of a loss of a diamond, the result is not so good.
The surface seem to be white gold, is it possible that it has been corroded??

Thanx for looking

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, this is it...
I had to stop cleaning because of a loss of a diamond, the result is not so good.
The surface seem to be white gold, is it possible that it has been corroded??
Thanx for looking

How did you end up cleaning it? There were a number of answers here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread