Lonewolfdigger

Greenie
Jan 18, 2014
East Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like some feedback here. How close do you metal detect to graves you find in rural unlisted graveyards that you stumble upon. I'm talking about several early 1800s gravestones clustered together in the middle of an open field. I want to get as close as ethically possible to see if a church was adjacent to the graveyard. This is a matter of ethics and local ordinances don't come into play here.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be up to the individual detectorist.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
can't tell you myself i have hunted in graveyards before………… I would say that is close

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is that you can't estimate the area of a graveyard by the markers you see because there can be many bodies buried without markers. I assume you are hunting with permission of the property owner so you should be able to check back with them to see if they are aware of the boundaries.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about this subject from time to time. I actually have come across several old homestead cemeteries near some property I own adjacent to a NF. Always thought about detecting but the whole forest is off limits. Don't know where I heard this but during a discussion of this someone once said " How close would you want someone to be detecting a cemetery with one of your relatives or loved ones buried there" When I thought about it like I looked at it a little different. It's a respect thing for me.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look around them for sure.Just show some respect,might find something good!sounds like a old area to look.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem is that you can't estimate the area of a graveyard by the markers you see because there can be many bodies buried without markers. I assume you are hunting with permission of the property owner so you should be able to check back with them to see if they are aware of the boundaries.
Yes i do i hunt there for my buddy is the care taker & he hunts there also… …. And i will tell you it is not worth your time at least the ones i hunted..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've thought about this subject from time to time. I actually have come across several old homestead cemeteries near some property I own adjacent to a NF. Always thought about detecting but the whole forest is off limits. Don't know where I heard this but during a discussion of this someone once said " How close would you want someone to be detecting a cemetery with one of your relatives or loved ones buried there" When I thought about it like I looked at it a little different. It's a respect thing for me.
… They do not know you are there they are under ground and any how with your digger you will never get down to them..You don't go in with a shovel and back hoe… Some of you it will bother and some of us it will not…….. And to answer… lonewolfdigger's …question it is up to you …. I know of no local ordinances about grave yards churches that say no detecting there……Every one worries to much..

Last edited:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a grave yard detecting I went up the dirt road And around a big oak tree and back down the other side of the road got to bottom and this car pulls up with the this lady ranting and raving with a video camera saying this is going to the cops your not supposed to be here this is a historic cemetery blah blah. She was filming me waiting for me to go over a grave and since I didn't she got all pissed off. She lives in the old care takers house and thinks she owns the place. I remember reading a story about this old school hobbyist and he said if some one wants you to leave then just leave so that's what I did she actually followed me .it was on a big hill and I was leaving n a path on the bottom .I had to cross a street to a park lot .as I was getting in my truck so old guy comes buy in a car staring at me,I'm like really people are messed up. But to your point there not holy places and the people there ,are not anymore it is about respect .if someone puts something at a head stone in a modern grave and its taken that would be stealing .I f the grave is 200 years old who cares . The stone becomes the place of respect.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question could be "how deep do you dig", instead of "how close."

I have hunted a few, a lot of copper trash, old bits of vases, wire from wreaths, foil.....and dirty looks from little old ladies. It's an early morning, or last resort kind of a hunt for me. GL.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking go for it...just be respectful, as we all know you would be, and avoid targets 6 feet deep!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely there will be no nearby church, it is probably just an old family cemetery. Probably won't find much anyways, since few people would have actually spent much time there. Like Keppy, I'd just go right in and see, but my expectations would not be high. All here who would will be cursed by many members here, it seems to cause outrage in a lot of folks. I have found a few early coins at rev war era church cemeteries, hunting with the minister's permission. You all have permission to hunt all over my grave when I go, maybe I'll even have my sisters plant a few of my old silver coins at five inches for future hunters.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a graveyard is not for me. Not because of evil voodoo, but because of respect for the person that was buried there.
I detect a very old property that has 6 graves surrounded by a large low rectangular stone wall. Each grave has a sunken in depression and a field stone on it. When I first gained permission to the property, the only area off limits was the grave site, per the owner. At first I had thought he was just referring to those 6 graves, and maybe he was, but later I discovered about 40 more graves in a wooded area on the side of the stone surrounded graves. At first I had thought that they were just deep depressions where maybe trees once stood, but then I started seeing a field stone on each one. Sure, I could of played ignorant, acted like I didn't know, and started detecting, but as Hunter mentioned above:
" How close would you want someone to be detecting a cemetery with one of your relatives or loved ones buried there"
I seriously doubt any of you would want someone digging holes on top of one of your family members.
I have found a lot of CW relics, buttons, old coins, etc. at the property I mentioned, but have never wanted to stoop as low as to detecting on top of where someone is buried. Body still there or not.
Don't let greed be your guide. Show some friggin respect.
That's my 2 cents.
-MM-

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic has been discussed many times here and never ends well so post carefully.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand if someone lost a love one to soon and all they have left is a stone .they may feel that protecting it is like protecting who was once was .also if some body puts something on a grave once that person dies that item is no longer valid cause now the people are together.if you be leave.so metal detecting is hard work and it takes a certain person to do it .so were generally good people .well off to detecting some frozen ground.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How close is too close? Since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

To me, it is a matter of respect and common decency.. Detecting in a graveyard is invading someone's space. They are dead, but it is still their "space". They didn't invite you there, and they didn't give you permission to be there. It is their final resting place, show some respect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread