How Cold....... Skeeters and Yellow Jackets?

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
How Cold....... 'Skeeters and Yellow Jackets?

I know that mildly cold temps for short periods of time will make Yellow Jackets become sluggish (till it warms for the day) :icon_thumright:. But, what about 'skeeters? Last night we had low temps in the high 20's to the low 30's..... is that enough to kill the ones hiding in the grass? I know that the ones still in the larval stages in the water can go deeper down to escape the cold, will probably survive, to hatch again when the surface warms up :'(. Yellow jackets that nest in the ground, will only survive if they build their nests deeper than a foot here in Michigan. And all skeeters living in your home through the winter, will survive.......unless you have cats or spiders ;D! How about it, do we have any entomologists out there :dontknow:?............NGE

Re: How Cold....... 'Skeeters and Yellow Jackets?

We had a night a few days ago that dropped to 0C (frost) and I haven't seen to many mosquitoes lately. A few came out in the mid sun though. The little biting flies seem to survive the colder weather longer.

Yesterday I had a close call. I was in the bush and noticed a few empty wasp nests hanging. Anyways, later in the day, I got a signal and like usual I kick the leaves and dirt away before I dig a plug. This time after a few kicks, I saw yellow all over the ground and in a split second I went crashing out of the bush with my car keys flying out of my pouch! I slowly went back for my keys and then peeked my head in the bush and saw a massive swarm! I guess they had went into the ground to hibernate and were sluggish when I kicked the ground. It took them 30 seconds to wake up and if I didn't kick the ground and proceeded to dig a plug on my knees, OUCH!!!
I got lucky on that one!
A few more nights of frost and there should be nothing to worry about.....except winter!
Dave.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The wasps and yellow jackets hybernate around here. And on unseasonably warm days they will come out and fly around a bit. I've known people who took one of those paper hornets nests home with them and when the nest warmed up in their house, out came the hornets! But you're apt to see them flying around here all winter. They are a bit sluggish but will sting if you oh, say, put your jacket on with one up inside the sleeve! I did that! Monty

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You really don't want to kill any type of bees or wasps,their all pollinators in some sort or another and with the declining bee population you might just want to save them.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Mr. Produce Guy you apparently are NOT deathly allergic to the yellow wasps......NGE

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Produce Guy said:
You really don't want to kill any type of bees or wasps,their all pollinators in some sort or another and with the declining bee population you might just want to save them.
Yeah, they are a big part of the system. But ouch! does it hurt when they gitcha.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Produce guy,

Wasps are carnivores...they are meat eaters not pollinators. Bees, on the other hand, as you stated, are a valuable insect without which we would be in big trouble agriculturally.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique

Wasps are straight out of Hades and will be dealt with accordingly.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

bravowhiskey said:
Produce guy,

Wasps are carnivores...they are meat eaters not pollinators. Bees, on the other hand, as you stated, are a valuable insect without which we would be in big trouble agriculturally.
YUP ! Brush up on your entomology , Produce Guy .
Practical side is leave hornets alone , they eat flies and won't bother you if you leave them alone . Yel-
low jackets and wasps are agressive pests that should be eradicated in habitated areas . Bumble bees
are our last hope for pollenation with the declining honeybee population .

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bumble bees are just as bad as yellow jackets if you accidentally disturb their nest. I moved a wood pile behind my house a few years back and bumble bees got me and the kid next door who was helping me. Monty

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Monty said:
Bumble bees are just as bad as yellow jackets if you accidentally disturb their nest. I moved a wood pile behind my house a few years back and bumble bees got me and the kid next door who was helping me. Monty
Oh,yes ! Those horntailed flies back up fast and set down hard . Their saving grace is that they do help polinate plants .

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

I leave them all be to do what they were created to do. The skylights
in my shop are filled with the sluggish ones until hard freeze. We coexist
in peace, only when picked up to be moved do they sting. I think the
jolt is good for the nervous system. Also it builds up your immunity.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unless you are deathly allergic to them. Then it's injections of adrenalin and Benadryl! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread