How Deep Do you Usually Find Relics?

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Northern California, and, especially because of the drought, the ground is super hard...It's hard enough to find anything really old (pre 1950) on the west coast, but even if I'm in a ghost town or something, it just seems like most of the "older" finds , at around 5-8", usually consist of an old tin can..!...so, I admit, I tend to give up at 5" or so....
Are relics consistently deeper than that, and if so, how deep?...I'm tired of just getting clad!
Thanks.

Upvote 0

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Northeast Ohio I am finding things from 5 to 12 inches. However the deeper it is the more likely that it is big iron.
Yesterday I found a WWI in service button at 6" and an American Locker key at 8 to 9.

We have had so much rain that most of the time I can push the Sampson into the ground with my hands, sometimes up to the hilt.

When the ground is hard I do not believe your signal goes as deep as when there is a higher moisture content. If you can get a big coil for
your machine your depth should improve.

OP
OP
R

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks..appreciate the info.....I'll look into a deeper coil...and pray for rain!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics can be at any depth, just like coins. Usually, at a particular site, the deeper the older, but that's not etched in stone. Soil type, moisture (or lack thereof), ground cover, freezing and thawing, excavations, etc, will all have an effect on target depth.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The depth is determined by the type of vegetation in the area and the time it was lost. It's that simple. Here in Maryland, 200 years back for say an ax heat is app. 10". A penny lost in the '40 is app. 3.5".
Out in the desert of AZ, something lost or just left 100 years ago, just might be laying on the surface. There is no vegetation to cover, only wind blown shifting 'sand'. It's not really sand, more like dust and rocks.
There can also be erosion that can cover or expose items. Usually in hard ground with sparse vegetation, it's not deep. Just my evaluation based on 40+ years of TH all over the USA. Frank...- five star.png

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Deep Do you Usually Find Relics?

From 8.35 inches, to 9.125 inches.

Unless it has been raining.

OP
OP
R

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks everybody...especially you, Frankn...really good info!...much appreciated.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5-8 sounds about right typically.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread