How Deep Was That Target?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep was that target? Starting at the top of your scoop handle crate a 1” scale down the entire length of the scoop handle. Now, once you’ve recovered that deep target turn the scoop upside-down and take a measurement from the surface of the bottom to the waterline. Now do the same thing from the bottom of the hole to the waterline. The difference is how deep the hole is, which gives you a rough estimate of how deep the target was +/- a couple of inches. You can do this same thing on the wet sand by simply taking a measurement from the bottom of the hole to the surface of the wet sand.

I do this whenever I recover a target that makes me say to myself, “Damn, that target was deep!” I’ll also do it when assessing a new machine or setup.

Upvote 0

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you liking the Equinox, Big scoop?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you liking the Equinox, Big scoop?

My honest personal opinion is, it's better then an AT Pro but it's certainly no Sov or Excal. I've got VDI on my Sov and with the combination of VDI and true variable tone the Sov will eat the Equinox's lunch every time out, even in trashy areas. I also go after a lot of deep targets when water hunting and with the three tone return on the Excal's true threshold the Equinox just can't compete here either. Having said all of that, I do like the Equinox and there are some things I do like about it. Build quality is also another issue for me, but in this era of throwaway manufacturing I doubt we'll ever see machines being built for the long haul anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread