How Deep would it be now

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
I lost my diamond pendant off of my necklace last year in my driveway. My boyfriend says since only a year has passed it should still be on top. Would this be true if we have been driving trucks and tractors over the driveway for a year. I have only searched it twice and get alot of readings. The ground is clay and is very hard. The top gravel layer is small gravel and the gravel under the small is large gravel. It would seem that it would be about one inch down and maybe caught between the larger gravel. Since I have only been using a md for 2 months I would love to hear how to look for it. I have found pennies and alot a rifle shells so far, so maybe I have not been digging deep enough.
Mary ann

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeing that your driveway is gravel and you seem to have a general idea where you lost the pendant, I'd probably mark-off small areas and dig every shallow signal.

If this failed I'd use a flat coal shovel and screen the gravel. Make a wood framed screener and put it into a wheelbarrow. Move the gravel around on the screen and then check to see what fell through into the wheelbarrow.

This is about all I can think of.

Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
wirelessworldinc said:
Thank you for your reply. Do you think it would still be close to an inch or deeper after a year?
Mary ann

That's hard to say Mary Ann. If during wet weather someone drove a tractor over it it could be 4 inches deep.

I'd try the two suggestions above and if they all fail then maybe it would be time to gain the assistance of someone with a very deep seeking gold (I assume it had a gold setting) detector.

OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Thank you, yes it was gold with a 1.25 carat diamond. I will dig every signal. I have had it about 20 years so it has alot of sentimental value.
Mary ann

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger is correct the condition of the ground makes all the difference in the world. Burdie

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
its hard to say how deep it would be. i would think it would be relatively shallow but it could be deeper. at least it is your own driveway and not someone Else's who you would have to get permission to hunt. take your time,dig everything and you will find it! (and probably a ton of other stuff you didn't know you lost!) good luck!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say is right...Is the area compact or sandy..It should still be near the surface...I have found coins 300 years old on the surface,,,depends a lot of the type of ground!

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Hey Mary ann, I don't think it will be very deep at all, prolly just under the top layer of gravel but hard to see. When I do gravel lots I use a garden cultivator to get down into the rock, works better for me than a digging type tool.
If you need any help just give me a call.
Good Luck. Dan

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Here's something else to try.... I know you are fairly new at this, but give this a shot.

Take another piece of jewelry roughly the same size and amount of gold and put it in with other metal objects spaced about six inches apart in ground you have already cleared of signals. try and tell the difference between the gold sound and the coin sounds and the junk sounds. It's subtle, but you can tell if you practice enough. Your target pendant should jump out at you if you try and get the sound down.

mitwes56

Jan 3, 2006
Since you said it was a gravel driveway , small gravel on top of large , maybe you could take a garden rake and gently move the top layer of gravel back from the area and then take a bright flashlight and go out after dark and squat down and let the light beam see if it can pick up a reflection off the diamond.

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I wouldnt be surprised if it's not in the driveway anymore but could have been pushed to the side of the driveway by the tires. i would check both sides of the driveway also. good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread