How dependable are?

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How dependable are electronic diamond testers? Mine seems to be working fine, but got a positive on what I thought was golden quartz. Will is test positive for other things?

Also, how about the acid tests for gold. Put some on what I thought was mica, but it didn't do a thing to it, still gold.

Just not sure how far to trust this testing equip.

Shaman

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree.. Thou one can not rely on looks and touch when handling these types of stones/gems.. Some times one just has to go with their gut feelings on many of these things. But if you're progressing towards using the testers more often.. there seems to be an under lying clause which tells me that your simply in it to recover any green you may have put into the hobby..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more that I don't know what I have. And that's one way of determining what I don't, if that makes any sense. But if these things are not dependable, leaves out one area of exploration.

Upvote 0

southernbell

Sep 8, 2013
Southwestern,VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very hard to get any straight answers everybody thinks it's awful if you make any thing. But in order to continue to look and explore and learn more alittle GREEN would really come handy wishing you the very best and good luck.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acid tests for Au are pretty reliable. Other than Aqua regal gold is unaffected by acids.I don't know about electronic diamond testers. Pawn sops live and die by them.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diamond testers are "ok", they don't have a 100% ID. Nor do they work for any other minerals, they are made for diamond only. (those I've tried)
If they fail depends on the (cut) piece being tested, it does not miss on entire mineral groups but rather single stones. Of course it has to be calibrated right, as well.

I can't swear on it, but I think they are not very useful for rough stones.

As for the gold test, they are reliable.... For jewellery and the likes, not for minerals. Many minerals don't react with acids.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks EU, I kind of suspected that was the case. We can however, use pure muriatic acid for checking gold. Right? I'm so confused! LOL

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A test to see if the piece is malleable is far better. Example: Mica won't react with any acids short of those you *never* want to handle. (at least that's what I want to recall)

So using a knife or needle to test if the piece will bend or break is easier. Besides, I always carry a knife when prospecting. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread