How did Swift extract the ore?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've been peeking in and out of this forum for years and I have but a slight passing interest in the Swift tale. I've seen pictures of everything, heard stories about everything, read claims that folks have actually found mines and/or coins and silver but, I've never seen any pictures of a mine nor any pictures of evidence that mining took place.

So, how did Swift do it? Is there a record of any tools or mention of an extraction method associated with this legend? How would one know by looking in a rock shelter or mine that ore was removed? I mean, a furnace or remnants of a smelter mean nothing to me.

To date, the only images of mining in Kentucky rock shelters that I've seen are my very own...lol. No one got real excited about them which I found ironic. I think too much time is wasted chasing down rock formations, rock carvings, etc. Can't one just climb every hill, search every rock shelter and say yes or no?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...t/487378-interesting-discovery-yesterday.html

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you, I don't chase carving, rocks, maps and rarely info. I am out there searchin, not for Swift, Indian, Spanish, or French, but for whatever is there. I have seen mines and found smelted silver. I don't know if the mines are silver mines or lead or clay etc. I haven't found aNY silver veins or any veins. All the mines I have seen are at least partially collaspe.
I do enjoy the storys, info and carvings very much. I just don't follow them as a map.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been peeking in and out of this forum for years and I have but a slight passing interest in the Swift tale. I've seen pictures of everything, heard stories about everything, read claims that folks have actually found mines and/or coins and silver but, I've never seen any pictures of a mine nor any pictures of evidence that mining took place.

So, how did Swift do it? Is there a record of any tools or mention of an extraction method associated with this legend? How would one know by looking in a rock shelter or mine that ore was removed? I mean, a furnace or remnants of a smelter mean nothing to me.

To date, the only images of mining in Kentucky rock shelters that I've seen are my very own...lol. No one got real excited about them which I found ironic. I think too much time is wasted chasing down rock formations, rock carvings, etc. Can't one just climb every hill, search every rock shelter and say yes or no?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...t/487378-interesting-discovery-yesterday.html

If you want to know how it was done, I would start with a search of '18th century silver mining methods' or ' 18th century silver refining processes' . For all we know these 'silver mines' were nothing more than exposed deposits on the surface that would run out after 5-50 ft of digging. Looking at something like that 250 years later might look like an erosion or landslide, maybe even look like a rockhouse that had a partial roof collapse

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If you want to know how it was done, I would start with a search of '18th century silver mining methods' or ' 18th century silver refining processes' . For all we know these 'silver mines' were nothing more than exposed deposits on the surface that would run out after 5-50 ft of digging. Looking at something like that 250 years later might look like an erosion or landslide, maybe even look like a rockhouse that had a partial roof collapse

Very good point. Does Swift ever make mention of being in a shelter or rock house?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I recall there is mention in some versions of a furnace rock house. Also of a stash in between the rocks of another rock house. But as you know, rock houses are EVERYWHERE, practically around every corner in E. KY, especially in the more clifty areas.
I am sure that they slept in rock houses as well. Perfect natural shelter from rain and wind depending on how its facing. Usually nice soft sandy floor to lay on too. Doubtful they would fool with tents for such long periods of time.

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First it makes no difference to me but Swift said he removed all traces of their being there. All would include a smelter. Second he mentions a rock house - there was a rock house....(a house made of rocks) just across the Little sandy from the line of rocks we all talk about. Someone went to a lot of trouble to shape the rocks (one is even a door threshold) and then threw them into the river-you can only see them when the water is down like right now. I am not claiming this is a Swift Rock house but it could be his rock house could be similar. not a cave.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indian Way Bill silver mines were just this exact same thing - one is at the edge of a field and you would never guess there was a mine there....[QUOTE. For all we know these 'silver mines' were nothing more than exposed deposits on the surface that would run out after 5-50 ft of digging. Looking at something like that 250 years later might look like an erosion or landslide, maybe even look like a rockhouse that had a partial roof collapse[/QUOTE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread