How did you get started in the Metal Detecting Hobby?

RLP5676

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I am new to the board and the hobby. It's interesting to hear how people got started in the hobby. I would like to hear from members how they got started. My story is quite funny. My 3 year old son got me in the hobby! He is a big fan of Bob the Builder. He was watching an episode where Bob and his team were looking for buried treasures with a metal detector. Later that day he asked me if I can buy him a metal detector so he can look for buried treasures just like Bob the Builder. I thought it was a bit silly at first but the following weekend I went out and got him a kids metal detector. The day after he got it i took him to a local beach for a treasure hunt. Little did I know that I would get hooked on it! About 2 weeks later I purchased my first metal detector on Ebay and have been hooked ever since. We haven't found anything good yet but the fun is in the hunt. The treasures are just a bonus!
I'm located in Union County NJ. If any local members ever want to meet up for a hunt- just let me know!

Thanks and Happy Hunting!
Rob

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! That is a great story. My story isn't nearly as fun. I've been a coin collector for most of my life. I started thinking a few years back that it might be fun to dig up my own coins instead of just buying them. Last year I bought a Fisher F2. Now, a little over a year later, I have 8 detectors and a bad addiction.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
R

RLP5676

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Captain- thanks for the reply. 8 detectors - WOW!! I didn't realize how addicting this hobby could be! I started out pretty basic myself- with an Ace 150. Went out with my son a few times on the beach and realized it wasn't that easy to recover targets. So i went ahead a bought myself a Garret Pin Pointer which i'm just itching to get out and try it.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you haven't bought a sand scoop yet, that should be the next thing on your list. I recommend this one for dry sand.

OP
OP
R

RLP5676

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You read my mind! That's the next thing on my shopping list! I was curious as to the bent/curved handle. Does it make it more difficult to lift the scoop?
Thanks!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife likes to walk the dry sand with me. I swing a detector and she scoops whatever I detect. She absolutely loves this scoop and says she enjoys going with me so much more since I bought it. So, to answer your question, it makes it easier to scoop.

Now, if you ever decide to get a waterproof detector and get into the water, well then a much bigger, heavier, stronger scoop (like a Stealth) would be recommended.

OP
OP
R

RLP5676

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I have a metal detecting supply shop not too far from me. I'm going to have to stop by there and check the scoop out.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Rob! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I got into it as an adult. I had wanted one as a kid, but my parents were not super well off. 4 kids and 1 job...

When I was 30, I bought my first detector and it was more fun than I imagined.

I try and hunt all I can, and cannot wait until retirement.

Time is the one resource that this hobby takes a lot of...

I now own 7 or 8 detectors, but I have owned many more.

I sold 5 of them to pay for some of my CTX purchase, and I have been happy with the results.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

I got into it in the 1970's after getting out of the Army. I was turned on to gold prospecting by my father as a kid growing up in Arizona, so I started as a gold "Nuggetshooter," with a Garrett BFO TR machine, and then a C & G Wildcat. I found a lot of old silver coins from the 1800s and early 1900s in the goldfields as well, so that turned me into a coinshooter. From there I got into cache hunting and beach detecting. It's an addiction. :skullflag:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always liked to dig, as a kid I'd dig randomly hoping to find dinosaur bones, so I guess detecting was a natural progression.

1st detector was an Ace 250 about a decade ago, though I have advanced to superior detectors I still use it the most as I carry it around in my truck all summer.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always thought it was interesting. I live at the beach and am always looking for excuses to go to the beach and just walking is boring. So I bought a cheap detector to see what beach detecting would be like. Once I found my first clad I was hooked. I bought a $1500 machine about 2 months later. Then an $800 machine...then another $1500 machine...and now I am buying a $2500 machine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread