How do I approach property owners to search their yards?????

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
I have collected a few dozen old houses in my area from the assessment sight. Some date back to the early 1800's. Now the question is, how do I approach these people to search around their houses? Do you offer them a pick of your find or just show them what you found? What kind of approach do you use and what kinds of responces have you gotten? I just want to prepare myself for spring because there are a lot of potential spots out there and if work stays slow, I plan on going to town with this hobby. I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks,
Rugratt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Sherm......I was just going to suggest walking up to the door and asking politely. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go up if they are outside working I go up introduce myself an tell them what I do. Tell them where I live and for how long I have been there. Tell them my intest and ask them if they every saw a detect and how it works. I would get it out of my car and show them how it would pick up on a coin and take off my wedding band and show them it will pick that up. I carry a old nail and show them how that picks up and show the Reading to them and assure them I would not dig up reading in the area so I am not putting alot of digs in there yards. I also express that I do not dig when the ground in dry I would wait until after a rain to detect the yard as this help the yard by not turning brown in the dig area. I would tell you this works 9 out of 10 times I get permission to hunt the yards.Good luck and happy hunting...Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread