How do I determine the best time of year to sell my item?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some items I sell regularly. I have a few things seem to have their ups and downs. Is there a history somewhere that I can check the best time of year to sell? Or at least the best months. Some months I sell a lot and some months I really have to mark them down. One of them is vintage pyrex bowls. Thanks in advance. I want to try and capitalize on the high months.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people sell stuff in the fall leading up to Christmas. Typically January is a "buy time" with prices slowly climbing up til peak sell time in fall. Of course this pattern will be different depending on the item.

Your question is extremely vague so without rephrasing the question, you arent gonna get a very good answer.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just didn't know if there was an ebay tool, I could check with? Or some other tool I could pay to use? Because there are several things I am curious about.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe there is a tool, but if you wanted to put in the effort you could check the ending dates of the "sold" listings and compare their prices.

One thing to keep in mind is that retailers normally place items on sale entering the season to which the items apply and then discount them again afterwards.

For example, a grocery store will run ads like crazy for "healthy" meals right after the 1st of the year to coincide with new years resolutions. They will do the same with cleaning supplies as spring arrives. My point? The beginning of a season is when there is most demand for the types of items it pertains to. It is also the time of most competition. For example's sake, if you are trying to sell, say, all-purpose cleaner. The normal retail price is $5 and you are selling yours for $4 to try and maximize your dollar. Well, at the beginning of the season, it is likely the target demographic will be purchasing cleaning supplies and these items will be run on sale. Now the regular priced $5 supplies are $4 or even lower. So why buy your "new" product when they can grab one brand new for the same price or less? Sure, there will be those who don't put two and two together and still buy your product for as much/more than the discounted rate now offered for the same item new.

So in short, when demand is highest, so is supply.

Last edited:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People will be getting their tax returns back soon and might have a little extra money to spend on Ebay.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you know the obvious, Christmas items just before Christmas, Easter items just before Easter, etc., but there are a few less obvious times to list. List Elvis items to sell just before his birthday. Certain jewelry items sell better just before Valentines Day or Mothers Day. If a baseball or other sports player breaks a record their paraphernalia sell better for a short time. There are many others, you just have to match your items up with an event.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I just didn't know if there was an ebay tool, I could check with? Or some other tool I could pay to use? Because there are several things I am curious about.
. eBay tool? There is now! You are currently using it. I believe this forum will turn into a premiere eBay user tool. But, like another person already stated, you need to ask specific questions to get good, more usable answers. If you have a secret item that sells great, you probably already know when and how that sells. Anything else, just name what it is and you will get some really good knowledgable answers.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What is it you are selling? Think of when you would want to buy it. You aren't going to be thinking of St. Patrick's Day stuff in July. You will be shortly. X-mas stuff will sell in July, I believe, to match the sales a lot of sites do.

If you use the completed auction search, you can see what sold as well as what didn't sell. If you see that your _______ has 15 of them listed, and not one of them has sold, now is not a good time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions