Printing labels and packsge size

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Being new to selling I knew I would make some mistakes, here are 2 LOL.

I made my boxes, printed out the packing slip, and packaged everything up. Printed out my shipping labels, taped them on and was all set

I stop at the post office today to drop them off. The very nice clerk tells me that the package should be no smaller than 3 1/2"X5" (1st mistake). Then she goes on to say the label should be only on one side so it can be scanned (2nd mistake).

So how do you package your items and make the labels fit? Do you always make the package big enough so the label fits or do shrink the labels to fit?

Thanks, Paul.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My labels are slightly smaller than a half sheet of standard notebook paper. I have wrapped the barcode onto a different side before myself on small padded envelopes. Lady at the PO was the one that suggested it. How small did you make the package, 3.5 x 5 is pretty small. Yours was obviously smaller.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell mostly coins. I use 4x6 bubble mailers and when I print the packing slip I have to cut it to size. Im planning on switching to a slightly bigger envelope so I can slap on a plastic packing list pouch and slide the shipping label in.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a way to shrink the label smaller than half a sheet of paper I can't figure it out either.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe when you print out your labels, you have an option to reuce the size.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from the ebay discussion group packaging & shipping:
After you click on PURCHASE POSTAGE you get another window click PRINT LABEL in that window. In the next window on the right you will see PREFERENCES click on it. A new window opens and in the top left click on LAYOUT. You will now see a window labelled SCALE or SCALING where you can increase or decrease the size. I have gone down to 80% (3.25 by 5 inches) many times and had no problem with USPS being able to scan it. The steps I gave are off the top of my head but should be close enough to get you there. BTW you need to set this each time you need it because it will default back to 100%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread