How Do I Get New Currency? Oh, and Consecutive $1 Star Notes

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Can anyone tell me how I can consistently get lots of new currency? Nearly everything I get is old. I do seem to get lots of consecutive $2 bills (if you need some let me know) but not many other types of new money.

I do have 100 consecutive $1 star notes. Any idea what they're worth? Serial numbers begin with 2 zeros.

Thanks,
JasonB

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the best way i know to tell you would be to make friends with a teller at a bank and tell her/him what you are looking for and get them to call you when they get a shipment in. most bank tellers hate the brand new crisp bills because they stick together and are harder to handle (what i have been told anyway)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
If what you have is a brand new (still in the BEP band) strap of 100 consecutive serial number$1 star notes, and they are from a standard size print run then expect roughly $150 or so if you sell them. Might go a bit higher or lower but that is an average selling price (Ebay standards). If they are not in the original BEP band then expect less, or if they are from a low print run then you should expect much more, especially if it is an FRB that only printed low print runs a particular series. If you'd give more info on the notes I could let you know if they are from a low run or a standard run.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
JasonB said:
Thanks Dr,

They are Boston 001 series.

JasonB

Are you serious? Man how did you find that strap!? How long have you had it? They were printed in November 2001 so I imagine you've had them for a while. Those notes are a great find! If, like you stated prior, the serials start with '00' then they are from the 1st run of 2001 Boston $1 star notes, from a print run of only 320,000 notes. I'd put the entire strap at like $500 to $1000. Separately in CU those notes will sell for around $10 or more.

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Darn it, Dr. I screwed up. They're Chicago (7) not Boston :) and they're 2006 series but the serial numbers start with G001xxxxx *. I almost fell over when I read your post. I was thinking you and I should sell 'em to the highest bidder.

Now, for the reality, tell me the Chicago's are very common, right? Especially 2006 series. I see I have a lot to learn.

I saw your link for population reports but I'm not sure I can tell how it's tied to value of notes. Can you educate us all a little more on that topic?

JasonB

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Yeah, the 2006 G-* $1 notes were printed in a normal 3.2 million note run, so your notes are fairly common as far as star notes are considered. Still they would sell for a decent premium, $130-150 dollars or a bit more if you get the right buyer. Really there isn't much education I could give on the subject, you just have to learn the patterns and the less common FRB/block letter combinations. The uspapermoney.info site is very informative and anything I could write here is already on that site. So if you really want to learn more about the currency printing process, etc, I would suggest going over some of that website whenever you have some spare time. I hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread