How do I identify flakes?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Another question that I've been struggling with: how do I identify what is a flake, and what is simply a rock that chipped off naturally?

Here is an example of what I found today. I brought it home just in case. I want to be able to know for sure that it is indeed a flake.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506199962.985510.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506199976.768374.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506200014.539365.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506200045.422854.jpg

I also found a few more items that I brought home just in case it could have been something. I'd love your opinions on them. I'm sure they are just rocks, as I'm getting a better idea on how to identify artifacts. I'll post them on the next post following this one.

Thanks all. Just trying to keep on learning!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black ones sure do look like flakes. The tan ones, not so much.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks smokeythecat. I'm hoping it is, I just can't tell how To positively identify that. It seems like it could just as easily be a naturally chipped stone.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're flakes there's gonna be a lot of them in one area

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could find lot of chipped up stone like that, but I still don't understand how that means it was struck by native Americans thousands of years ago.

And what is that rock I found with the huge hole at the top? lol, I'm sure just a rock. But that's weird looking.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Could be debitage from knapping. Coosakid: not always true. I find a lot of random flakes on the desert, one here one there. I carry a bopper myself when roaming around and strike an occasional rock here and there to see if it is good enough to bring home to work. IMHO the Natives would work rock while on the move.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506206853.650759.jpg
On this photo specifically, in front of my fingernail, if you look close enough you can see what appears to be somewhat of a grouping of rings. A while back, I was informed this is an indication of a "strike" when knapping. Is that a strong indicator of finding a real flake? Hoping everyone can see it in the photo.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you have found appears to be just natural rocks... The last thing where you're point out the rings might be a flake, but it's hard to tell. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, but one of the biggest tell-tale signs of a flake is the "bulb of percussion." Some more tell-tale signs can be rings and small striking platform. But again, there are always exceptions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I figured they were all rocks. But can you elaborate on the bulb of percussion? I do feel a little bulb on the rocks that I feel could be flakes. So, it sounds like the rings are also an indicator, but not so much a definitive answer to whether it's a flake? It's just tough to tell... I never know how to identify anything other than a point that's without a doubt a point.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great. Thank you filmiracl. My piece of potential flake kind of resembles these in the photo! It has a "bulb", I can feel it. And I see those ripples... I wonder if it could be an actual piece!

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be debitage from knapping. Coosakid: not always true. I find a lot of random flakes on the desert, one here one there. I carry a bopper myself when roaming around and strike an occasional rock here and there to see if it is good enough to bring home to work. IMHO the Natives would work rock while on the move.
I agree you could find a random flake..... But around here thats usually how I find a place to start looking. Most of the time when I find alot of flakes, usually quartz, there's an arrowhead close

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BrettCo it's kind of hard to tell from the photos, but I think there's a very good chance you have a couple artifacts there. Possibly even a paint pot or pigment pot used to hold paints/pigments. The color black usually consisted of charcoal mixed with animal fat & other various liquids. Crushed wild grapes were often added to the mix when available too.

Your larger rounded peice looks a lot like a quartz scraper that another member found this weekend. I'll repost a picture of it here shortly...

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing in common on these 2 except shape. Mine is a polished quartz drill his is a rough rock. I use glasses by the way.
On the other hand I would like to see Bretts triangular tan piece both sides.

Im aware that shape is about the only thing the two have in common. The side by side comparison is only to show the possibility of his find being an artifact vs natural rock.

The OP was unsure if any of his finds were altered by man or not. I wanted him to see an example of a known stone tool similar in size & form to the stone in question.

When I was new to the hobby Rock my mind was blown by how many different styles & types of stone tools Native Americans used.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BrettCo it's kind of hard to tell from the photos, but I think there's a very good chance you have a couple artifacts there. Possibly even a paint pot or pigment pot used to hold paints/pigments. The color black usually consisted of charcoal mixed with animal fat & other various liquids. Crushed wild grapes were often added to the mix when available too.

Your larger rounded peice looks a lot like a quartz scraper that another member found this weekend. I'll repost a picture of it here shortly...

That one thing is not a paint pot. Sure, maybe an indian could have used it as one, but he could have also used one of the bazillion others that litter SE PA. The other thing could be a scraper (not because the shape is similar to something else but because it looks like it might have a scalloped edge on it. I would need to see the business end straight on to confirm.) Is it quartz? I can't tell in the photo... to me it looked like some kind of soft limestone -- but again, hard to tell in photos.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.

It's definitely good for me to see things such as that comparison of the potential stone tool. I don't believe anything I have is worked by man, but worthy of questioning.

Please see the photos attached for closer images of the tan triangular stone (no signs of work and it's thick on the back side), the quartz (is it quartz?) looking tool, and the oddly shaped stone that looks like a paint pot. Please let me know your thoughts. Always great to keep on learning from you all.

BrettCo ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281721.477629.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281737.885602.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281751.627023.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281765.744757.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281782.229995.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281792.242380.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281806.581675.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281817.177332.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506281830.688381.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread