how do organized hunts work

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're having a hunt in a nearby town soon that I am going to attend...it will be my first participation in an "organized" hunt and I had a question about how it works so I can be better prepared to hunt on d-day (dig-day :-X )
So they say they are going to "plant" 400 coins per participant for each participant that pays to enter each of 3 separate hunts and a proportional amount for each participant that only enters either hunt one, two or three.
Now my questions is how do they "plant" all of these coins? It's an awful lot of coins to actually "earth"...do they really stick each and every coin and token in the earth, or do they just go out there and toss them about on the surface?
Any other tips you think may be useful on that day will also be appreciated! Thank you all very much!

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd...24 views and no responses? Either this was a really dumb question, or nobody that viewed it has ever been on a hunt like this?

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure, Gregd! I mean, say only 20 people showed up and did all three hunts. Surely the park wouldn't want 8000 plugs dug into their park in three hours? Unless they're really really broke and are looking for some cheap aeration and are going to follow the hunt up with some kind of lawn roller races or something...

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
SWR is right.Speed is the name of the game.The ones who attend these hunts regularly are just like vacumn cleaners.Most of the coins/tokens you can uncover with the toe of your boot.If this is your first competition hunt,don't expect to get anywhere near your entry fee back.Hope you do,but---

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so from me yes Ive go to pay hunts an help witht them the amt. in the ground depends on how many pre pay for each hunt then there is extra because of people who show up day of hunt an pay extra. Members of the club go out early an like was said above bury coins usually not deep, an the tokens for prizes will be buried by the hunt master an that person only! Grab an go is fantastic advice as there is a time limit on theses huts usually 45 min per hunt .... you get signal get it an go dont stop to keep looking to see if it is painted or stamped for a prize you can do that after that hunt . Plus since most hunts are silver coins the more you get the better chance you have of earning (digging) back your entry fee. Hope that helps ....oh an listen to instructions before the hunt they will tell you alot.
Then there are frienldy hunts like the CTH these are we know there was something there at one time an its your luck ... you take your time..... you visit.... you eat...... you help each other ect. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Stellar tips, fellow T-Net'rs! Thank you very very much! This hunt is not until May...I will be sure and hook back up with this post when the whip comes down and let you all know how it went....
Again, thank you very much...you guys (and girls) are the BEST!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the hunt at you'll be attending? There is a hunt over by Tulsa we might go to Memorial weekend ?

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Granny! I live in Yakima, Washington. The hunt is on Mothers day weekend and is in Tri-Cities...which is comprised of Richland, Kennewick and Pasco. I believe the actual park the hunt is in is in Kennewick. It's a three day'r. Three big hunts for a total cost of 140 bucks before the show, 180 bucks the day of the show. A couple of smaller hunts in between, with teen hunts involved too. The additional hunts run 10-35 bucks each (trophy hunt, quarter dash, stuff like that) with no discounts available. As SWR mentioned, there are probably sponsors involved also as the brochure mentions prizes include metal detectors and tools, along with silver dollars and half oz rounds? With the great advice I have acquired here, I think I will be able to hold my own and not go home with an empty sack! I hope so anyway, because finding silver out in these neck of the woods it tough tough tough tough tough tough tough (thats my favorite Mick Jagger quote...what a way with words that guy has :laughing7:)

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing .... if you walk across the hunt field to pick your start spot make sure you hold your machine in the air an keep it pointed up till the say or blow horn or what ever to start hunt. I hope you have a great time, my oldest granson loves going this is the last years for him in the youngest hunt (the one above hay hunt) next year he wil go the the teen hunt. He wasnt sure he wanted to do the night hunt ... after not even 5 min. his 1st one he was off an gone only came back to aske me if I was ok once in awhile an see if I needed help. LOL When he got it he got it ! :laughing7:

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most kids are good kids...some kids are GREAT kids! I like that one already! Maybe some day I will be honored enough to make the personal acquaintance of you and your grandson...and WE can hunt and feast and talk :icon_thumleft:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ck out the CTHIV a comming up Sept. 3, 4th an 5th an the past CTH hunts an LA hunt ! These are friendly hunts not speed compition ones. See what you think ! ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have not been to a hunt like you are talking about. I have been to three organized hunts that were simply spots secured by someone in a location and then a bunch of people show up and see what they can find.

I had a blast at all three. For me the best finds were the new friends and the fun we had during the hunts.

I hope you had a good time if you went since this event will have already passed by the time I post this.

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
NWHunter,

How about an update on how the hunt went???

Phil

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Use a light machine, and a small coil....Coins are planted shallow and you can pick away all day at those shallow targets without a sore arm. Kids detectors usually work the best in these hunts for me.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of guys use a Big Foot coil ! So thsy can cover a larger area faster.... but. they have an un fair advantage so a lot of clubs now ban them for compition. So always ck enough in advance so you can use the right coil for you hunt !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread