How do those silver dollars get there?

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Hey All,
Ever wonder how something as big as a silver dollar gets lost? I know I have often pondered this question. Well, each coin has its own story but here is the story of one...
I was visiting some friends in PA (I am going to grad school in CA) and told the husband (60's-ish man) about my new found metal detecting hobby. He replied by telling me he knew where I could find a silver dollar. I perked up when he told me this story: Back when he was about 10 years old, he and a friend were playing along a creek bank. He was carrying a silver dollar and his friend bet him that he couldn't find his silver dollar if he threw it as far across the creek as he could. His friend was right; they never found the coin. It landed in a pasture which has remained a pasture all these years. Unfortunately, he told me this story as we were walking out the door so I didn't have a chance to search for it but when I am done with school in a few months and move back to that area, he has promised to take me to the pasture to look for it. I hope I can find it for him and return a bit of his childhood to him.
Thought it was an interesting story that some of you might like.
Turtleman

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good Luck! I'd love to see a post by you in the future after you find it!!! 8) :o

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
That sure would be a neat thing to do. Return an item someone you KNEW lost when he was a kid. I sure hope you find it. Good Luck.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've wondered that too, because I would think people would notice a silver dollar that fell on the ground before it had time to sink in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread