Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Everyone,
At this particular stage in my early life, I am lucky enough to have EVERY DAY off!!! With that, I am chomping at the bit to do a bit of detecting! Up until this point in my life, I have always gone hunting with my father, I have rarely gone on a solo hunt. I don't know why this affects me as much as it does, but I have a really really difficult time knocking on doors to ask for permission. I don't know what to say (other than can I metal detect your property). I wanted to get some veteran advice from some of you guys that have been doing this forever. What is your method to securing permission when you are knocking on doors?

Thanks everyone!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their own technique, but I've always had a little bit better luck hitting them up on the street, at the grocery store, coffee shop, etc., wherever I run into them. Of course, that was always in a small town or rural setting, where you're always visitin with people out in public anyway. Might not be the best approach where you live, but it is a more comfortable setting.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Offer to help them out by cleaning out the gutters or some other chore. Explain to them how good you are and they will not see any holes or damage after you're done. Offer to share and/or give them finds. Be sure to ask if they lost a memorial piece and if so, find it by all means and return if possible. Be polite, dress like you can afford to buy a new shirt and make sure you shave and are cleaned up/not looking like a bum.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not an old timer or anything, but I've been having success with permissions. I try to catch people in their yards. I stop, get out and normally start my conversation with "Hello. My name is so-and-so. I metal detect as a hobby and would love to detect your property." From there I usually tell them where I live in town and make as much small talk as they would like. Normally I have to answer the question "If you find a pile of gold, are you going to split it with me?" I assure them I will, but laughingly explain that my best days of hunting have only been a couple of silver dimes. I finish by letting them know that I will leave the property looking as I found it by covering all of my dig spots, I will take all trash that I dig with me, and that if I find anything that would be a family type heirloom that I will, without a doubt, return it to them. I get a "YES" maybe 90% of the time.

The other thing is that I created business cards with Vista Print that have my name, "Metal Detectorist", my city and state, phone number and email address on the front. On the back, I have the Ethical Guidelines of metal detecting that I refer them to if they are skittish at all. I think the business card makes me look a little more professional and might help reassure to them that I will not be abusing their property. It also shows them that I'm willing to give them my personal information in case I do mess something up. At other times, I leave the business card with people if they need to think about it, or wait until their husband gets home to ask them, etc etc.

I hope this helps!

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just knock on the door. When they answer, I tell them my hobby is metal detecting and I would appreciate a chance to look around their yard for lost change. I also let them know that there may be times when I will need to dig a plug in order to recover the target, but the plug will be replaced and the yard will look fine. If permission is granted, go for it. If they say "No", go on to the next place.
NOW for an important step. When you dig something of value, slip it in a special place for now. Later you will have to decide to show it(them) or not to the land owner. BECAUSE !!!,when you are finished, they may demand that you to give them everything you've found. I've had this happen several times and I am not going to waste my time digging for several hours, only to have someone request that I give them everything I worked hard for. The best thing to do is settle any divide before you start detecting.YA,I know it's their property, but I was given permission to hunt it. If they are nice, I do share my finds. If they aren't, they get the junk. All of the pieces of metal, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc. is politely handed over.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I approach like the last two posters, although I never mention 'digging'.
This hasn't been mentioned, but I never use a liability release form or any nonsense that would scare a property owner. The business card idea is ok, but I've never gone that route. Might be a plus.

I've had owners follow me around the yard, and keep the finds as I dig them up :(
Oh well, it's all about the thrill of the hunt for me.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I knock and introduce myself by name
2. Tell them I live local over on X street and am not selling anything
3. Tell them how great their house/property looks
4. Tell them how I like to metal detect and will leave their yard perfect if they "allow" me to detect
5. While they ponder a yes/no I tell them about all the amazing 1800's finds I have found in other local yards (little embellishing of the truth)

They will usually hit me with a "Sure go ahead just make it look nice" or a "No thanks, not today".

If they follow me and ask to see what I dig...no problem. If they ask to keep it or mention keeping it before I even dig...take care have a nice day and I move on to the next house. While I am into it for the thrill of the hunt to a degree, my finds are my finds. I bought the detector...I am on hands and knees digging and getting dirty...it's definitely going home with me. If an item pops up engraved with their name or they mention beforehand that they lost X item....absolutely return it if found.

If I found a few rare coins I'd probably give a couple back as well....but for the most part....not there for community pull-tab/screws/nails service. My MD finds are coming home.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to tell the owners that I like to search lawns for coins to add to my coin collection, and that I also dig up trash that I take with me. If I find treasures, we share 50 - 50. Before I leave, I thank them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread