How do you build up your bankroll?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I'm fairly new and have just been using some money I've gotten from birthdays as my coinroll. It's basically my spare $ if I need it. So not working right now so I can't just spend freely with what I have. What are some good tips to build up your bankroll? I was at a point where I could search a dime box each week, but I had to use some money out of my bankroll for expenses.
How does everyone gain money to use for CRH? And I only have 2 silver dimes and about 6 war nickels to my credit so far. So can't sell my finds so far. Not enough.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I take it that you are fairly young. When we were kids, we would mow lawns, shovel snow, do odd jobs to make xtra cash. Even scrapping (metal), picking up aluminum cans outa the ditch and turning in for cash.
Hope I didn't offend if you are older. If so, my advice take it or leave it, find a good-paying union job ;D

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I am able to afford my swing (bankroll) by dropping some old hobbies that used up money (hunting, fishing, bottle digging, etc) in order to pursue this hobby that MAKES money.

Besides that, the application of self-control when it comes to spending is of great benefit in directing income to a profitable use.

You will find that our most successful coin-rollers are SERIOUS about this pursuit.
(But they still have a lot of fun)

Hope it helps.

Keep on Rollin' !

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
fistfulladirt said:
I take it that you are fairly young. When we were kids, we would mow lawns, shovel snow, do odd jobs to make xtra cash. Even scrapping (metal), picking up aluminum cans outa the ditch and turning in for cash.
Hope I didn't offend if you are older. If so, my advice take it or leave it, find a good-paying union job ;D

Oh no offense taken. I'm 27 and laid off from a non union company. Pretty crazy when they are the ones underbidding all the union companies. But whatever I have a feeling I was "laid off" because I know how to speak up when they try to screw me. And with this economy there is no work out there. I can't see doing hard construction work for $9 an hour. Just absurd. Gonna have to take what I can get pretty soon I think, unemployment doesn't last forever. Been almost a year.
Shoulda gone to school, at this point quite screwed, can't do anything without $ lol.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won a poker tourney... That's what I used to get started

HH
BB

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a box of halves. I had a bank get it for me and told them I would get it in 3 trips in a week. I would get 150-200 every other day amd dump on the way to pick up.

I sold my finds once I got $100 worth of silver and would use that to get more coins per trip.

I got to where I was doing 4 boxes a week like this. I'd pick up one day and dump the next on my way to pick up.

Now I work full time and my schedule only allows me to do random stops when I have time.

I'm a few months I'll open an account near work (80 miles from home) and start buying boxes again.

I would also use my paycheck to buy a box when I got paid on Friday and dump Saturday and pay my bills.

That's what I'll end up doing once I can open an account closer to work.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in a car accident with my girlfriend. She separated her shoulder, but I shattered my hip (femur through hip). I retained a lawyer that helped me through the claims process on three different insurance companies and he helped big time without being a shark. For 2 months my girlfriend made me live with her and took care of me until I could walk again. I tried to go back to work in the town I lived in 75 miles away, and couldn’t handle begin without her so I quit my job, found one near her, and moved in with her. A year and a half later I asked her to marry me. A year and a half after that, we were married. In that time span of 3 years we made some wonderful investments while stocks were falling during the financial crisis and I tripled my money. Compound with money we pulled from other sources we now have a net worth of a million dollars. I buy all the coins I want to go through and can dump. I don’t have to work, but chose too because I found during the 2 months that I was off work that I have to stay busy or else I slip into depression. I work for a non-profit services company that helps colleges raise funds. I now cull silver at face value for the zombie apocalypse. I’ve bought some, but it doesn’t give me the rush CRH does. Plus, the other weird stuff I find is pretty fun.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
SeaninNH said:
I would also use my paycheck to buy a box when I got paid on Friday and dump Saturday and pay my bills.

I think most hunters could make this strategy work. Buy boxes of coin at bank 1 by endorsing your paycheck/unemployment check/whatever, edge search in the parking lot, drive across town to bank 2, dump the rejects by filling out a deposit slip and depositing into your checking account. Do whatever volume you can muster this way. It is 2hr of a Saturday, every other Saturday.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I started off with $250 for CRH. I was very lucky early on and scored as few solid rolls of 40% halves. I sold those and used the proceeded to build my bank roll. Since April, I have built that $250 into $5,000+ in cash, silver and gold. It starts slow, but once you get some working capital and can do volume, you'll be golden.
HH,
-Ox

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
You have to go out and find some work, its not going to come to you, so you have to go get it. Any money is better then nothing. I have a couple of friends that are unemployed, i told them to go out scraping. So three nights a week they drive around picking up any thing that is metal. They have been averaging about $175 a day after fuel costs. They are their own boss and they are making some money. You cant wait around on unemployment. Its a nasty world out there so you must get out and make what you can. Best of luck , and HH.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Dok Holliday said:
I was in a car accident with my girlfriend. She separated her shoulder, but I shattered my hip (femur through hip). I retained a lawyer that helped me through the claims process on three different insurance companies and he helped big time without being a shark. For 2 months my girlfriend made me live with her and took care of me until I could walk again. I tried to go back to work in the town I lived in 75 miles away, and couldn’t handle begin without her so I quit my job, found one near her, and moved in with her. A year and a half later I asked her to marry me. A year and a half after that, we were married. In that time span of 3 years we made some wonderful investments while stocks were falling during the financial crisis and I tripled my money. Compound with money we pulled from other sources we now have a net worth of a million dollars. I buy all the coins I want to go through and can dump. I don’t have to work, but chose too because I found during the 2 months that I was off work that I have to stay busy or else I slip into depression. I work for a non-profit services company that helps colleges raise funds. I now cull silver at face value for the zombie apocalypse. I’ve bought some, but it doesn’t give me the rush CRH does. Plus, the other weird stuff I find is pretty fun.

Geez, that sounds like a nice life to me... good investing!

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
treeslayer said:
You have to go out and find some work, its not going to come to you, so you have to go get it. Any money is better then nothing. I have a couple of friends that are unemployed, i told them to go out scraping. So three nights a week they drive around picking up any thing that is metal. They have been averaging about $175 a day after fuel costs. They are their own boss and they are making some money. You cant wait around on unemployment. Its a nasty world out there so you must get out and make what you can. Best of luck , and HH.

Yep I am "working" but its cash so not legit with benefits or anything. I do have my side thing of selling sports cards and stuff. I actually have been collecting some scrap. I do masonry so there is always lead around after we tear down a chimney or something. Got a bucket going in my garage. Also have some copper flashing scraps I came across.
If I had a truck I would definitely scrap metal if I knew what pays good. I am pretty sure the guy behind me does it and thats his living. Owns the 2 houses behind me, kind of a redneck in the North lol.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
treeslayer said:

Very Nice, I am going to look into some forms of scrapping... Where are they looking when they are driving around looking for anything metal?

I too expirienced a job loss in 2009, (didnt get fired, or laid off, just knew the industry was evaporating before my eyes.) So I started searching for a business I could start and try to build up to the point where it would replace my income before my industry sank... I started the last thing i ever expected which was a rock chip repair/ windshield replacement company and it was growing as fast as I could keep up, i quit that sales job 3 months later, and had a weekly check coming in a couple months after that.... So my point is, you cannot just sit and wait around, as mentioned, the work/job will not just come knocking, you must go create it. I believe we must all get creative if we are going to have any chance at rebounding from this greed induced depression we are in. I am actually thinking about where geographically I could expand this business, as it is pretty tapped here in Salt Lake City. I need to figure out a good way to figure out where to expand too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread