How do you calibrate your metal detector for general detecting?

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
"Winbest" by Barska "Pro Edition Metal Detector"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to tell us the name and model of your detector.

I hope your not talking about salt water beaches.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty broad question. I set my discrimination low and my sensitivity as high as I can without getting a lot of chatter and false positives.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn it on.. swing.. if on beach in wet sand, push button marked "Beach Mode" .. swing, dig.. swing ,dig.. repete..

OP
OP
Y

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is salt water. Is that ok?

It's a cheap model- Winbest Pro Edition by Barska

It only has 2 knobs. I used it today in Long Beach, CA, I picked up a few pennies that's it after a few hours of hunting.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First --- Welcome to T Net!
If you have the owners manual re-read it, that should help. I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like it was meant for use on wet salt water beach, maybe you can use it in the dry sand part, I'm not familiar with that brand of detector. Hopefully someone on here can answer your question. GL. HH!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find a flat spot 6x6 area in your yard or drive way. Go over it with the MD and make sure there are no targets there. Now put a coin of each type and jewelry as well out on the ground and go over it to see what your machine does. You can get an idea of how deep it will go buy lifting the coil a little at a time as you go over the item. Air testing is not accurate, the machines do better with objects in the ground. I would guess that machine will NOT work on wet salt sand so stay in the dry, keep the coil low and flat to the sand, swing slowly, not like the guys on TV.., overlap each pass by 75% to make sure you do not miss anything.. Good luck..

A quick google of the machine and just looking at it.. For beach you would start out in all metal mode, no discrimination, sensitivity as high as can be with out the machine chattering when just sitting there.. scoop any signal till you see how it works.. with a 6" coil you will need to go very slowly each sweep only 3" farther in front of the last or you will miss that area. The round coil projects a cone shaped field into the ground so at 6 or so inches below the coil the field is only maybe 1 inch wide.. it will be hard to find anything at dept without really going very slow and overlapping.

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Charlie and airscape say :)

Your machine has a fixed ground balance so there is no calibration required. Just setting your disc low and sensitivity high then backing off sensitivity for a stable threshold is about all you can do. Increasing your disc will help knock down on lower conductivity items and falsing due to mineralization. Not a good machine for the beach as salts will play havoc the closer you get to the wet sands and black sands will knock your depth out. Parkways are a good place. As suggested practice with it first. Luck swinging :)

OP
OP
Y

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advie guys. More than my manual actually says lol. I can't even find it now... but I don't remember there being much. I will practice with a grid in the yard.

I actually have been out to the beach a few times. Got a lot of grainy dirty pennies and a nickle that look copper from weathering....Now... how to clean them hahaha.

A lot of time, but walking on the beach is nice. My arm is a bit tired. I assume if I keep doing this I'll have to upgrade my gear at some point as well...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advie guys. More than my manual actually says lol. I can't even find it now... but I don't remember there being much. I will practice with a grid in the yard.

I actually have been out to the beach a few times. Got a lot of grainy dirty pennies and a nickle that look copper from weathering....Now... how to clean them hahaha.

A lot of time, but walking on the beach is nice. My arm is a bit tired. I assume if I keep doing this I'll have to upgrade my gear at some point as well...

Don't worry about upgrading..
You need to learn your machine to be efficient and that take time and digging of junk to learn what it is telling you.. Upgrading does not mean it will be magic and find stuff, same applies and with more expensive units the more complicated they are but not a lot different than what you have now.

To clean dirty clad coins that do not have value other than face value think about buy a rock tumbler. Harbor Freight has them cheap.
Use natural colored aquarium gravel, lemon juice (squeeze a wedge wroth in and about a cup of water.. add coin (No pennies) and tumble over night, rinse and spend.
Do pennies by themselves, save that gravel for pennies only or your other coins will turn copper color.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a machine like that I would start by turning the discrimination nob mid ways.Turn your sensativity "on/off nob" full open as much as your ears want to hear.Take a peice of smaller iron "nail", Something copper, any kind of coin,something brass,space them out in your yard about a foot or two apart.Swing your machine over them turning your discrimination nob "up clockwise" until you hear everything except the nail or smaller peices of iron.Larger iron will probably sound off well too as they do with most machines.hope that helps some!good luck

OP
OP
Y

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a machine like that I would start by turning the discrimination nob mid ways.Turn your sensativity "on/off nob" full open as much as your ears want to hear.Take a peice of smaller iron "nail", Something copper, any kind of coin,something brass,space them out in your yard about a foot or two apart.Swing your machine over them turning your discrimination nob "up clockwise" until you hear everything except the nail or smaller peices of iron.Larger iron will probably sound off well too as they do with most machines.hope that helps some!good luck

Excellent advice airscape and digiron2. THank you so much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions