how do you display your collections?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hey there,
I used to own a sign and printing business so I have made a few easy displays for some coins I have. Usaully I would just take a picture frame and get some foam board and felt, trace out the coins and cut recessed spots for them to sit into. check out the pics below you can see what I am talking about. They make a nice easy way to display coins.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• dimewalldisplay.jpg
    dimewalldisplay.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 315
  • dollarwalldisplay.jpg
    dollarwalldisplay.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 305
  • goldwalldisplay.jpg
    goldwalldisplay.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
J

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
those are beautiful! exactly what I want!

can you be more specific with how you set up the foam board and felt?
-do you cut holes in both? or just a hole in the foam and lay the felt over it?
-I assume the felt goes on top of the foam board?
-I also assume your using non pvc foam board?

thanks!!

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Thank you for the great comments.

Yes the foam board goes in the back and does not get cut. The felt is on the top. That gets cut. Wal-mart has a felt that is self adhesive and works and looks great. If you are going to have the just the coins in the frame(like the dimes) you only need one layer of felt. If you are going to have the coins in cases(like the gold ones) you will need two layers of felt. On the dime display case I used paper coated foam board because I ran them through my wide format printer. But the same effect can be done with the felt process as described above. I also have made some nice displays out of mahogany with routered holes for the coins. Those I sold to a dealer and havent made any more. Now this article makes me want to make some more. ;D Maybe I will put some together and post them on here. If you have any more questions or need help just let me know. PM me if you want.

Thanks,
Jason

OP
OP
J

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
I was originally thinking wood with routered holes like you said...but, I think I like the idea of the felt...I'm going to give that a shot. I'll post them up once I get them done....

thanks for the advice!

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Here is another way I keep my coins. I acquired a bunch of mint boxes and I take out the bottoms and use foam board and felt to make them fit the coins I want to put in there.

Jason

Attachments

• blankplanchetcase.jpg
    blankplanchetcase.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 294
  • blankplanchetcase1.jpg
    blankplanchetcase1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 300

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome displays bud, too bad you don't make them any more, I would of bought a couple... :o

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
TreasureFiend said:
Those are some awesome displays bud, too bad you don't make them any more, I would of bought a couple... :o

I still can make them. I sold the sign and printing business due to a serious back injury just over a year ago. but I kept some of the smaller equipment(vinyl cutter, wide format printer, and router table) because I knew down the road after surgery and healling I would get bored and need something to do... That is how I found CRH, I was retired and bored. PM me if there is something specific you are looking for. I might be able to help you out :thumbsup:
Jason

OP
OP
J

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
one last question...on the dime one, I assume you cant print on the felt?

so does the felt only go where the coins are? and you left an open space down to the foam board which you printed on?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
johloh said:
one last question...on the dime one, I assume you cant print on the felt?

so does the felt only go where the coins are? and you left an open space down to the foam board which you printed on?

On the dime display that is posted I didnt use felt because I wanted to have the eagle and dates printed. I used a cardboard faced foam board. If you want to use felt(becuase it does really look nice) and want to have it printed the best thing to do take a 8 x 10 frame(assuming that is the size you want) get a piece of 8" x 10" felt lay your coins on it where you want them. Trace the coins out, then remove them. Using a hobby knife cut the circles out where the coins are going. Also get a 8" x 10" x 1/4" thick foam board(this does not get cut) this is for the back. You will lay the foam board down, if you can find self-adhesive felt peel the back of and stick it to the foam board, if you cant get self adhesive felt, spay adhesive of even glue will work to mount the felt to the foam board. Then you will have recessed areas for your coins to sit into(kinda like a whitman folder) if you want to label the coins use your household printer and print little labels(use full sheet label that you can get and most office stores) if you use black felt(my favorite) make your label all black with white or grey lettering, trim close to the lettering, so when you stick them to the felt all you really see is the lettering. this is probably the best way to do it with out special printing equipment. Good luck. If you need more info feel free to ask. I can take some pics of the process if you need more help... :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
Jason

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake - Very nice displays. :thumbsup: If you were so inclined, I'd think there would be a market for all that you could make, just have to get people to see them.

OP
OP
J

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
thanks for the further description, I think that clears everything up for me shake!

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't display my collection. Every coin that is out of its lock box is a coin that can be easily stolen or destroyed by fire/flood/tornado/other natural disaster.

-Codes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread