How do you find a good spot

G

greenbrier

Upvote 0

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I would start here...The library for any kind of Book or? Newspaper that may have information then I would maybe look at old maps they may have of that area after researching through a book of the area.I would also look on the internet for information.Historical information at a museum may give some information.State historical archives also!Contact the Veterans Society they could give a lot of places to do a good search..Maps of old trials and train tracks where probably used during the war...but are now probably gone.They may even have ownership/survey maps where houses used to be?
.Note though where ever you go there is always legal points to concider and laws are everywhere your best defence.Ask before you do any metal detecting on private or any property period. Because all land is owned by someone.I could think of lots of places but this is a good start.Good luck!
Here is a gret search site..
****************************************************************************************
Go to www. Lost Treasure Magazine.com (Also pick up the latest issue on the shelves today.)
and then click on State Treasure Stories.....And you can pick any State you want and they will have just about any story of lost treasures and War stories...Anthony Palenty was the producer of this section I am not sure if he is still doing it. Great man to talk to...He will find anything for you.I have spoken to him myself and got State
treasure maps and cool stuff like that.

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ghost surf said:
I would start here...The library for any kind of Book or? Newspaper that may have information then I would maybe look at old maps they may have of that area after researching through a book of the area.I would also look on the internet for information.Historical information at a museum may give some information.State historical archives also!Contact the Veterans Society they could give a lot of places to do a good search..Maps of old trials and train tracks where probably used during the war...but are now probably gone.They may even have ownership/survey maps where houses used to be?
Note though where ever you go there is always legal points to concider and laws are everywhere your best defence.Ask before you do any metal detecting on private or any property period. Because all land is owned by someone.I could think of lots of places but this is a good start.Good luck!
Here is a gret search site..

Go to www. Lost Treasure Magazine.com (Also pick up the latest issue on the shelves today.)
and then click on State Treasure Stories.....And you can pick any State you want and they will have just about any story of lost treasures and War stories...Anthony Palenty was the producer of this section I am not sure if he is still doing it. Great man to talk to...He will find anything for you.I have spoken to him myself and got State
treasure maps and cool stuff like that.

quoted you so I could read your whole post.......was cut off on my screen.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that a lot of areas have had local history books written about them. These are execellent sources of leads, not only for Civil War info but also for old parks and home sites. Ask at your local library or bookstore. Most libraries and bookstores have local history sections

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Last night I went to Barnes & Noble and right inside next to the door on a display kart they had a VERY BIG book called "The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War". I bought it for $19.98. The book is loaded with maps of battle fields and even goes as far as to show in detail on each map where each military force was located on the property and how they moved across the property. It has great old photos as well, but is mostly maps. The only bad thing about the book is it is about 1 foot wide and 2 feet tall and weighs about 5 pounds. Ya, it's big, but this is so they can get more detail into the maps and they sure did that.
xXx

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Like I said, I just bought this book. I was just flipping through the back of it and it gives detailed photos and descriptions of all the different buttons worn, chevron's, revolvers, swords, Rifles, cannons, uniforms, etc.. This book is truely awesome!
xXx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread