How do you get rid of the fever.

troutbum24

Apr 12, 2011
First off my name is Blaine 27yrs old, I am from Lewiston,CA (Near Redding) So I have had gold fever off and on since last Spring. Everytime I start prospecting it gets worse and worse. When does it stop... Or how do I find more gold!! Cant wait for tomorrow to come to go dig some holes on a cold day in a frigid canyon glistening white with frost and ice that hasnt seen the sun for weeks. Hoping to have a new hand dredge similar to gold n sand ready by morning. Cant wait for spring so I can jump in the creeks and snipe some more as well. Here is all my gold from my after work outings (prob 20 trips*2 hrs each trip on average) total of 40 hours sniping or sluicing. Probably about 1/3 oz maybe a little less.

1212112107.jpg

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Hey Blaine, the only cure for the fever is to dig more. I have heard stories of back in the old days, expedition leaders would prohibit their men from panning because they feared a case of gold fever would break out and the men quit the expedition.

You guys are lucky out west with the chunky gold, its mostly fines out here where I am at.

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are some damn nice fines Russ, real nice. The only cure for gold fever that I know is permanent is when you're pushing up daisies, don't reckon you'll be throw'n to many shovel fulls into the hopper from six feet under. Burr that's a cold thought, but I ain't ready for that yet got too much retirement to look forward to :blob7:

Gramps

mikeg10

Greenie
Aug 9, 2011
I hear ya buddy. That fevers something else! You know you've got it bad when you're dreaming of nuggets every night. I'm a bit south of you in Marysville and went up the hill last week by LaPorte. There was snow and ice but we tried sticking it out for awhile. Only problem was the dirt was frozen! Couldn't get it broken apart to pan or sluice. My buddy thought I was crazy when I told him next time we'll have to take a torch to thaw it out first ;D Good luck with the fever!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: T24 your in a righteous gold producing area so time to do your homework :read2: to educate yourself as to whom,what and where around you. Then go to the forest circus in Redding on airport and buy the land status maps from them as much more accurate and newer than BLM maps. Now cross refrence the 2--then go to Weaverville recorders office and start digging as to who has claims where and your good to go once it thaws or warms. You will get 100's a times the gold by doing your homework in the cold frozen winters up here and prosper greatly--tons a au 2 u 2 -John :laughing7:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you Blaine the fever is hard to get rid off, you've sure got the addiction and the only way out is GFA (Gold Fever Anonymous) that I know off. :laughing9: but that stuff sure looks shiny in the pans. :laughing9:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a poem sent to me by "Nuggy"

GOLD FEVER

I met him up a west coast creek,
he was bearded and fairly old,
I thought him a very decent bloke,
he taught me to pan for gold;
I should have thrown him in the drink,
and ran off down the track,
for gold has ruined all the years,
on which I can look back.

I caught a fevered golden dream,
and started moving stone,
peace, content, home and love,
are things I've never known,
I spent my young life seeking,
for that gleaming, golden glitter,
and all I have to show for it,
are mounds of stone and litter.

In wet and cold I've searched for gold,
and dug till flesh was broken,
all because of a colour or two,
and a few words that were spoken,
I've worn out shovels and pans galore,
it's cost a huge amount,
I've worn a thousand boots away,
and too many socks to count.

Now that I am old and bent,
and can barely shake a pan,
I'm going to pass the disease along,
to ruin some other man,
so if you see me, old bent and smiling
the only thing to do,
is run like hell, don't stop for a spell,
or my victim may be you.

-Nuggy

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
trout, astro, that sure is nice

who wants a cure, its the ownly thing i have to look forward too nowadays, well besides crabbing, claiming, abalone rock picking, metaldetecting for stuff time to move into gods country.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Gold fever is the good life. I have a lot of city folk that would just love to pawn their projects off on me so they could find time to do what I do. I tell them that I had the same projects they had and how they can dump them for gold fever like I did. I'm not saying that I'm getting rich but I'm rich in the since that I'm doing what I want in life and "The man" can't hold me to a time card. Collecting retirement helps me to develop and refine my gold fever. I'm taking this life stile to the grave.

OP
OP
T

troutbum24

Apr 12, 2011
mikeg10 said:
My buddy thought I was crazy when I told him next time we'll have to take a torch to thaw it out first ;D Good luck with the fever!

Yeah, we have been starting fires on the ground cooking up some sausage and waiting for it to thaw.... Works out nicely. It sure has been cold out there. My buddies dad just got a detector so we went out and found some square nails and other junk. It was fun though!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
troutbum24 said:
mikeg10 said:
My buddy thought I was crazy when I told him next time we'll have to take a torch to thaw it out first ;D Good luck with the fever!

Yeah, we have been starting fires on the ground cooking up some sausage and waiting for it to thaw.... Works out nicely. It sure has been cold out there. My buddies dad just got a detector so we went out and found some square nails and other junk. It was fun though!
Square nails ain't junk. I'll take 'em all day long. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread