How do you guys do it?

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly have just hunted penny and nickels for fun up till now but I went to around 20 banks today and asked for half dollars, they all said that they didn't have any. 1 of the banks I went to had dollar coins and sold me 10 of the modern president coins. I jwas wondering do you guys have banks order them for you or do you just walk in and ask for them like I have been doing? I understand if you guys/gals dont want to share info on this but I thought I should ask.
Thanks Jason

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck. It's all luck. Although if you hit up 20 banks and found nothing, more than likely, you have competition that cleans them out on the reg.

OP
OP
J

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, thats what I was thinking well I might try to order some or stick to smaller coins

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 is nothing I have hit 50 banks on certain days with no luck... Your area sounds like mine which is overrun with hunters.. I always ask and stop at banks I normally don't frequent, but the days of bank hopping for silver have been long gone for me.. Boxes are my only real possibility of finding silver and even then it is quite that battle

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little roadtrippin tip

If I hit 4-5 banks in a town and hear "we just sold 'all" or "we never see those" you need to cut your losses and drive 25 -30 to the next town to get away from the hunter who is just ahead of you

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lately my "finds" have been costing around 21 X face - and i have to "hunt" to get them at that price.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do both - order boxes and ask tellers for any halves they have on hand. I have heard tellers say several times "we had a bunch but someone just came and bought all of them" or "we never have those". Goes with the territory.

OP
OP
J

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I will hit a few more tomarrow, maybe drive a few towns away and see what I can do.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also recommend that you take the time to read the beginner's guide at the top of this forum. It will answer a lot of these type of questions.

OP
OP
J

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wilmingtonsilver I did read that, its good to talk to people who know what they are doing. I have not found any one in my area who is in to treasure hunting but you wouldnt know that by talking to the banks, I will keep trying and post any pics if I find something. I have a big metal detecting trip tomarrow but I will hit some banks on my way home, If nothing else I can still pick up a case of pennys and find some wheats I guess,
Thanks again for the help, Jason

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to several banks and told them I wanted to open an account but I had one unusual request they had to order me a box of halves a week.

I got a few no's and a we will have to find out. One said yes and I've been getting em ever since. The bank that said they would check called me the next day and said yes, so I have a fall back.. Also the bank I use orders brinks the other garda. However my dump bank uses Garda and I feel better not dumping where I eat..

I did the same with my dump bank, found a bank w no charge no rerolling and opened a min. Balance savings account. Been taking healthy dumps ever since:-)

Good luck to ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread