How do you hunt a large area ???

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find out where people would have walked, try and picture the area in your mind on how it may have looked 50 to 100 years ago. Hunt around the old buildings. Hunt the path between the main house and the outhouse. If outhouse is not visible, look for depression in the field behind house. Hunt under old clotheslines. Hunt around any large old trees, family picnics usually happenend around trees with the most shade. See if there are any old foundations. Dig everything!

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Do some quick research. Old aerial photos etc. Try hisoricaerials.com in some areas they go back to the 40's or 50's although there is not much old coverage for Ohio. If you don't have much time for research then just look at the layout of the land and try to figure where on that property would be the most likely spot activitys such as buildings, picnic spots etc. would have taken place. If nothing else, use your biggest coil and go fast until you start hitting stuff then slow down and search it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

Does it have Water, especially near high ground :dontknow: life revolves around water, if you have on your new land, then that's the place to start :icon_thumleft:

SS

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Create an image in your head that it is a small area. :D

Only one day huh?

Well, If I were you I would put a pep in the step until I started getting decent finds and slow down to get as much in as possible.

You'll never get it all so you might as well get some good relics.
Then go back when you can.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Sonoma County Mike said:
Find out where people would have walked, try and picture the area in your mind on how it may have looked 50 to 100 years ago. Hunt around the old buildings. Hunt the path between the main house and the outhouse. If outhouse is not visible, look for depression in the field behind house. Hunt under old clotheslines. Hunt around any large old trees, family picnics usually happenend around trees with the most shade. See if there are any old foundations. Dig everything!
Best advice I would give anyone :icon_thumright:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You got a lot of great advice here. The only thing I can ad is, don't miss the old fences! I searched an old farm out west and found a zinc lid mason jar with 13 silver dollars next to the end post.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Be sure and check under the kitchen window. A lot of times the wife would pull her rings off and set them on the windowsill while she did dishes. With no screens back then, they sometimes fell out and were never found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread