How do you prevent rust on your detector?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you prevent rust on your detector? It is beginning to accumulate on the washers around the dials. Don't want to use chemicals since it may get into the control box and ruin the circuitry. I've used a toothbrush to remove some of it. I've had my detector for years and it seems odd as to why it is beginning to rust now. Any solutions?

Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
change washer and nuts to brass, keep it dry, wipe when your done, stay off the beach.coat with light oil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no steel or iron on my detector to rust. :dontknow:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Polish the whole beast with a commercial automotive rubbing compound, then coat the entire unit in silicone grease and RTV. Use large size PE freezer bags to cover the box when hunting in rain.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a small paint brush and use "Tarnex", then add a light oil. I also replace metal washer with nylon ones I pick up at Ace hardware. Hope this helps buddy.

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brands are rusting? I have some detectors 15 years old and have never seen a bit of rust on any of my machines. I don't put any thing on them. Don't do anything but take dirt and dust off of them when i get home. Maybe because all of mine are USA made.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless steel washers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread