🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I rarely agreed with things Juan said. This time however, I agree with his assessment and statement.
I already have an aversion of flying and I would be even more uncomfortable if I saw ANYTHING that triggered a response of additional fear.

I guess that it boils down to the fact we need to be aware of our surroundings and potential hazards. It could be anything from a druggie carjacker, a nutjob shooting up people in the mall or a school or a grocery store robber. Would you even be able to distinguish these people 5-10 minutes before their act? Maybe, maybe not.....

Best,
Scott

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't start off judging people by how they dress. After I talk to them, I form my opinion. Profiling. Profiling is basically an association with dress and mannerisms that have caused you problems in the past. Nothin wrong with it. Depends on how you act on it and the results afterwards whether it was justified. I was 'profiled' once, I felt. I went to a Vicente Fernandez concert in Denver. Security and Denver cops surrounded me when I entered. I was the only gringo white American I could see. They said, 'Excuse me sir, but we need to check under your hat and check your boot legs.' They weren't stoppin the Mexicans who all wore boots and hats. I told them the only reason they stopped me was because they couldn't speak Spanish and they figured I spoke English. I was fixin to get fired up and get really po'd, but the one security guy told me 'Sir, you're the only gringo here among 10,000 Mexicans, so we gotta assume you're a bad dude and might be carryin'. I thought that was funnier than crap really and let it go.

Steve07

Greenie
Oct 22, 2010
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Gold Mountain King Cobra, Garrett Ace 150, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop, there is a scene where he notices the guys in trench coats in Summer at the Strip Club? He wasn't Profiling. Sometimes you just notice stuff that ain't right, for the situation!!!
Be aware of what is going on around you. I remember working as a store Merchandise Recovery Person and saw a guy in July with a trench coat and "Big Bulge" in his coat, come to find out he was carrying out a VHS recorder. Yeah that was a "little" while ago!!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a couple of weeks ago we had a young man in a suit and a AK-47 firing shots into the ground here at UT,hard to figure out what made him do it or why he wore a suit,but on that note allot has changed since 9-1-1 at one time we feared people with a German/Japanese/or Russian accent and now,nobody seems to care.
That's my 2 cents :icon_scratch:

Steve07

Greenie
Oct 22, 2010
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a child I suffered from being picked on by school mates, because my parents were Russian Citizens. My father left there because he was captured by Germans and Stalin considered that treason, and families were tortured for their son's being taken as prisoner. My father changed his name to save his family, and was listed as KIA (Killed In Action).
He never contacted his family and then when the Cold War was over it was too late. He still agonizes about not being able to contact his family.
My school mates used to say "Better dead then Red" (Russian, Red = Communist) to me because they learned that from their parents. Sometimes people don't know someones background and that is no reason for prejudice. Being cautious is one thing, being ignorant is another. Remember those you point out or profile may be innocent!
On the other hand if someone is walking down the street with a gun, looking pissed off, it's time to run and call for help!!!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote:
"As a child I suffered from being picked on by school mates, because my parents were Russian Citizens."

Да благословит вас Господь за то, что сильный гражданин!
(forgive my speaking...been a long time since I've used Russian....)

Best,
Scott

Steve07

Greenie
Oct 22, 2010
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scott, only one problem. I don't speak Russian, born and bred right here in Connecticut, USA. Served in the U.S. Navy 4years active 2 years reserves. My father translated : He said its something like {Yes the Lord that the strong citizen will bless you!} I don't know? Thank you anyway!!! Steve

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve07 said:
Thanks Scott, only one problem. I don't speak Russian, born and bred right here in Connecticut, USA. Served in the U.S. Navy 4years active 2 years reserves. My father translated : He said its something like {Yes the Lord that the strong citizen will bless you!} I don't know? Thank you anyway!!! Steve

It's all good...
I'll stop with my linguistic abilities here...
Tell you Father...
Пусть Бог будет с вами.

"Nuff said...

Best,
Scott

Steve07

Greenie
Oct 22, 2010
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Scott, he's an atheist!!!
He did say "Blessed be those that believe!" Steve

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve07 said:
Sorry Scott, he's an atheist!!!
He did say "Blessed be those that believe!" Steve

Steve,
I respect everyone's belief.

Best Wishes,
Scott

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I profiled once a woman went into WalMart with her son (around age 9) he had on a heavy winter coat and a flat back pack, Weird because it was middle of July! Manager would NOT put security on them .... as they left he looked like he had gained 40 pounds. They ripped the store off all the time !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
I profiled once a woman went into WalMart with her son (around age 9) he had on a heavy winter coat and a flat back pack, Weird because it was middle of July! Manager would NOT put security on them .... as they left he looked like he had gained 40 pounds. They ripped the store off all the time !

maybe it was the Owner's wife :wink:

You ever see the Vids on you tube
on the People of Wall Mart ?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the still pics not any videos .... I was working there when (she) was in store an watched her an I couldn't do any thing about it since I wasn't security. The thing is she wasn't taking food ect. It was dozens of pairs of frilly under clothes, makeup, CD's, movies ect.
And even though taking food is still stealing, I would never tell on someone who is just trying to feed their families or themself. EVER!

S

stefen

Mental Granny said:
And even though taking food is still stealing, I would never tell on someone who is just trying to feed their families or themself. EVER!

A number of people have this same attitude, which I totally disagree with...As a business person, I like other people in business, put our personal money at-risk to make a profit...and someone taking a five-finger-discount is stealing food from my family's mouth...

Stealing, regardless of the value or excuse, is not acceptable...

But tell me you're hungry and I will feed you...

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
i profile the hell out of everyone...everyone...all the time....

Juan Williams was right...he just said what every one thinks...

so it is only 1 percent of the money npr needs to keep running...cancel it...they can make it up or cut back a little...

OP
OP
S

Smee

Personally, and I could be wrong, but I would bet that 99% of all people do this CONSCIOUSLY. I think they DO profile, they just don't admit to it.

It is, however, a great point to use to bash your opponents --- accusing them of profiling and being "prejudiced" etc.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Smee said:
Personally, and I could be wrong, but I would bet that 99% of all people do this CONSCIOUSLY. I think they DO profile, they just don't admit to it.

It is, however, a great point to use to bash your opponents --- accusing them of profiling and being "prejudiced" etc.

I can tell by Your avatar that I don't like you. :wink: :tongue3:

S

stefen

Smee said:
good ;D

BTW, are you Chip or Dale? :icon_scratch:

Speaking of profiling...for conversation purposes only, if Ken of Ken & Barby was gay, do we assume that Chip is light in the loafers as well...or is it Dale...have to run a voice analysis :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread