How do you search dime boxes?

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 5 boxes of dimes awhile back and could only bring myself to search the first one which I only went over checking edges, the same as when I do halves. After the first one took forever and I got several very shiny foreigns I decided to buy a dime wheel for my ryedale. In the first box I was fortunate enough to find a 44 Merc which I then proceeded to use as my sorting coin.

The next 4 boxes straight were skunks...not 1 dime went into the 'silver' side of my ryedale setup.

Is it possible the Merc dime wont work for this purpose and I perhaps missed some silver that was in there? Or is it just more likely I skunked 4 boxes straight?

Should I continue the edge checking and drop the ryedale? I dont think I can bring myself to date search on that many dimes...nickels are hard enough for me honestly...

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardest part is unwrapping each roll, once you get it open it should take you 10-20 seconds max to check the roll. the thin shiny coins are canadian dimes, set those aside. the thick shiny coins are british, set those aside. the bright/slighly frosted looking edges are what you are looking for, throw those back in ;). double check any heavily soiled coin or any coin where the copper band is not apparent. I find dimes to be easier than halves, the 40% halves can look alot like clad. there is no mistaking a 90% dime!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
cut the roll lengthways with a utility knife and get some reading glasses to aid edge searching. A box takes ME roughly 1/2 hour and I do 40+ boxes every week. HH Mark

Vergie

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't take you more than an hour per box. 30-40 if ur good. I use a butter knife. Someone else around here mentioned that and I find it works well and prevents me from tearing up my nails.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread