how do you sell a loose stone?

Rubyslippers

Sep 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone
I recently inherited a loose sapphire from my family. I had it identified at my local gem lab and it is presumed to be worth a substantial amount. I have no clue where to start in trying to sell this stone. I'm hoping that someone in this forum may be able to point me in the right direction. Does anyone have ant thoughts on how to s ll a sapphire? Thanks everyone!!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Did the lab provide you with paperwork as to it’s authenticity, weight and value? If so you can use these items to establish a selling price. Pawn shops and jewelers will offer you way less than a private sale.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife works for a jeweler and I asked her what she thought about your situation. Unfortunately, the prospects are not good for anything other than a private sale. She says that, generally, most jewelers aren't too interested in colored stones unless it is a certified colored diamond (yellow, etc).

If you have any certification of the stone's authenticity and appraised value, you may be able to sell it to an interested individual. Therein is the problem; how to market the stone without everyone in the known universe knowing where you - and the stone - are located. If I have any flash of brilliance that may be helpful, I'll PM you. In the meanwhile, good luck.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for gem & mineral shows in your area if any - we have a huge one up here and there
are guys thru out that may buy a loose stone or 2 - I have a small box with a variety of stones
pulled from rings I found - figure I will try and sell all at once one of these days at one of these shows

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ebay has a category for Loose Gemstones. Not sure if that's the best place to sell, but an easy option.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever you are trying to get advice, opinions, or recommendations, it is always wise to post a few pictures. Also include a copy of the appraisal.
Depending on size and clarity, I might be willing to trade a few magic beans for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread