How do you tell size of targets?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cans will tone off of a much larger area of your coil than coins. In fact most cans will beep before the edge of your coil has crossed over them. So if you're getting a high tone under the entire area of or coil, it is probably something big. Or if you are getting a high tone that is difficult to center over before you pinpoint, it is usually something large, like a can. Coins are pretty tight under the coil, especially if they are under ~4 inches or deeper.

Also, 50-tone makes it much easier to distinguish cans, IMO, as they sound wonky or lopsided. But I still much prefer 5-tone at this point for what I do.

Either way, more time with the machine will get you the skill to distinguish.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
First do a slow sweep across target in 2 directions and see how long the tones last, coin should be shorter and then try lifting the coil while sweeping, a can will go much higher because of the size. You can try various things like this while pin pointing also.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great comments, guys! Thank you, I'll try these!

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10 inch pipe at 36 inches, the Nox screamed like it was on the surface, had no idea what I was digging, until it was unearthed. I had been over this area many times with my Noka,Whited GMT and garret ATX, none of which even whispered to me.I'm sure if the pipe was down 60 inches it would also have found it, the pipe was used in the 1800's for mining( blowing away the sides of mountains in search for Gold

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a Deep can will fool ya. I normally lift the coil and sweep it back and forth as the coil is going up. If your getting a pretty strong signal and your 18 inches to two feet above the ground then chances are its a shallow can. If the signal starts to go weak within a few inches after you start lifting, chances are its a coin or other small object.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A shallow silver dollar can mimic a crushed can too. People often preach to dig what you think might be a can for this reason. I'm guilty as charged though! Lol.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 ways:

1) Width of tone edges:

BEEP <----------------------------------> BEEP (CAN)

BEEP <--> BEEP (COIN)

2) The height above the ground... raise your coil off the ground... if you are 15" off the ground and still getting a hit it's NOT a coin.

3) This is the MOST effective method... are there other cans nearby? If so 1 & 2 are a good confirmation of the obvious. If not, consider that it could be a phone and dig it.

Knowing the maximum depth of your machine on small items helps you avoid things like cans, lawn chairs, and street signs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions