How do you tell the difference between real artifact arrow heads?

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of fake stuff/reproductions at flea markets and e-bay with a few good pieces mixed in every now and then. Education is the key. Look at as many real artifacts you can from local collectors, museums and books. There are arrowhead shows around that you can talk with experienced collectors and learn a lot from.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of fake stuff/reproductions at flea markets and e-bay with a few good pieces mixed in every now and then. Education is the key. Look at as many real artifacts you can from local collectors, museums and books. There are arrowhead shows around that you can talk with experienced collectors and learn a lot from.

Good advice! :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't recommend buying from flea market, too many repos sold there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen allot of reproductions that look to be actually stamped almost like a cookie cutter effect. Different colors but the same flat edges. Those are the easy ones to spot.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude u will just learn overtime, just study ur brokes and flint u want to collect, ps. buy some fakes and play with them as well and try to fake patina them, u will learn lots to pin point in fakes doing this

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ps. dont buy crap if u cant tell yet

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Trev gives the best advice in his last response. However, I read about a guy that made 3 or 4 repo Clovis points, took them to a reputable authenticator, and he passed them. The creator told him after the fact that he made them weeks earlier. You really can't tell. Certain lithic would be harder to repro. I would guess, so look on the net for lithic for sale. Stay away from pieces made of those lithic types. What I'd do If I were in the market end of this hobby. Treasure hunter makes a valid statement as well. However, at a local Flea market, a guy sells artifacts here. He supposedly is certified to authenticate as well. I go in and look at his inventory, but never buy. I'm just too skeptical. He has some pretty stuff.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flea Markets are notorious for having bad pieces, but if you know what you are looking for and how to spot Repros you can actually find some nice pieces at the Flea Market. I have bought some really nice pieces at our local one over the years.

OP
OP
I

icedgold10

Apr 14, 2013
Saco, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude u will just learn overtime, just study ur brokes and flint u want to collect, ps. buy some fakes and play with them as well and try to fake patina them, u will learn lots to pin point in fakes doing this

That would be dudette to you sir.....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Takes a little time. Spend time in the field, spend time finding authentic pieces. Put a magnifying glass to them. Back up and look at them from a distance. A lot of times you can tell something's not right. Don't know what it is, but it's not right. Good luck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also helps to not miss the obvious .. like.. is that type even found where they said its from.
Don't even need to look close then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread