How do yoy track meteor fireballs?

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just at a curiosity, how do you track a fireball at night? Lets say there was a meteor shower one evening and then suddenly see a bright shooting star heading towards you but vanishes after a few seconds of entering the atmosphere. I know it may look close to you but how far away would it be if it survives the burning process and crashes on the earth? Any thoughts? Ive seen quite a few of them in my lifetime and would love to find a fresh meteorite someday. The latest fireball I saw was last year in New Hampshire near my camp.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I track them with my drones, well to be honest, with the one that guards my home. The other two are on missions.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a serious answer, the only way to track them is with radar. When you see them, they are hundreds of miles away and when they "burn out" (stop giving a fireball even though they are still intact) they are still miles above the earth. So if you don't witness it hitting the ground, you have no way of knowing where it really landed without a radar track.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^ Radar will narrow down the search area greatly. As stated, unless you witness rocks, or if you hear audible hissing or whisling noises, you will have no idea where they land.

DolanDave

Aug 25, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, GPX 6000, Equinox 800, ect.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Doppler Radar, also if there were sonic booms, the NOAA has seismic area's to triangulate the sounds, also there are a lot of video camera's up you can get recorded video, and get a bearing, and degree it fell to triangulate, also from witnesses, get a bearing and angle, and triangulate where it fell.
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread