How does a day with a merc go bad?, Ill explain.....

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does a day with a merc go bad?, I'll explain.....

Went to my friends mothers house today and made some decent finds amongst the nastiness you see pictured here. Man i think someone compacted the soil before i got there on purpose!!, my hands hurt today! I snagged 7 wheats, a 43 merc:headbang:, a tootsie car, a 1948 Luzerne county dog registration tag and all the junk. And this is how the day ended up going bad.......I had a nice silver ring with The initial L on it and marked Sterling, but being a freakin MORON I lost it somehow!:BangHead:ive only dug 2 other silver rings so far since starting detecting last year and how the ($)#$@#) did i lose it, im so mad about that, I swept the yard frantically looking for it to no avail....How the heck does my detector not find a fresh drop??:dontknow: I told my buddys mom and she told me to come back anytime to look for it. I WILL find that ring darnit! I guess its not all bad, but it wouldve been nice to have a multi silver day......... IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1448.JPG

Upvote 4

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. At least you know that ring is out there somewhere waiting to be found again. Good luck!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Things we find are lost because THEY want to be lost! Watch how many times a find will jump out of your hand, off a table, even dive back into the hole. Gotta be careful!

Sorry about the escapee.

I would try the obvious first. Another pouch, pocket, cuff of your pants, etc. Try to remember the last time you physically saw the ring. What/where you were then and doing. Try to actually envision that last time you saw the ring. Don't worry about what you did with it at first. Just when you saw it last.

Hope it turns up again.

At least it wasn't an 1856 FE. ;)

I've had targets stick to my gloves when trying to put them in my pouch. Pull the hand away and then it jumps off and starts running!! :)

HH!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the idea of losing metal while out metal detecting, then not being able to find it :laughing7:

I hope you are able to find it when you go back.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the idea of losing metal while out metal detecting, then not being able to find it :laughing7:

I hope you are able to find it when you go back.
It is kinda ironic lol I think I couldn't find it cause I was rushing, I dug six more targets after that I'm gonna check near those more thoroughly. This ring is thin and light at least it's not super valuable

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it wasn't an 1856 FE. ;)

HH!
Then I'd officially punch myself in the face :angry1::angry1::angry1:I checked everywhere on myself including my shoes lol. It'll turn up

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped a 1775 coin about 2 years ago and failed to find it until a few weeks ago...and I went over the area probably 5 or more Times.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you didn't put it back in a hole you filled back in that would be bad to have to dig it 2 times.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you didn't put it back in a hole you filled back in that would be bad to have to dig it 2 times.

its funny u mention that, because im thinking its a possibility. I was pretty excited when I took it out and cant actually remember putting it in my pocket.......

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped a 1775 coin about 2 years ago and failed to find it until a few weeks ago...and I went over the area probably 5 or more Times.

oh wow, thats good u found that one again! my little dinky ring wasnt worth much

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that. My best gold find ever, 14K white gold. Lost the same day I found it, had it long enough to get a pic. then it just seemed to disappear. I guess I had it in and out of my pocket too many times showing it to some people.

I remember feeling as you do, bad about loosing it, then I thought about the original owner and how bad they must have felt. That put it in perspective, I only had it a few hours, it didn't cost me a cent, no sentimental value, etc. That said I do hope it shows up some day.

TIP, Since then when out digging I always carry a few small zip loc baggies, and any good finds rings, silver coins, or decent coppers get their own bag and go into a safe pocket.

Attachments

• find10-29.JPG
    find10-29.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 90
  • find10-29d (Copy).JPG
    find10-29d (Copy).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i hear ya about the baggies, thats what i plan on doing anymore

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i hear ya about the baggies, thats what i plan on doing anymore

Yep, the baggies are a good idea. Especially for things that might loosen up. Like, gilt, small parts, stones.
Live and learn. :dontknow:

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Sorry you lost that ring! If you go back there and grid the yard at a good pace I'm sure you'll find it. When you realized you lost it and were franticly looking for it you may not have been in the best frame of mind to find it. Make sure they don't cut the lawn till you go back! A buddy of mine in England lost a gold coin turned into a love token--he was heartbroken. He went back several times to search to no avail. He left work early one day on a whim to look again and sure enough he found it--it had fallen inside a flower (like a tulip).

Don't put keepers in your pocket. Garrett makes a nice pouch I think that is or was a freebie from the dealers (I think) and it has large area (with velcroed lip) for all your regular stuff and a little pocket with a zipper for your good finds. I highly recommend it--it's a great pouch. You may also want to get a little foot shovel to help with the digging--much easier than by hand.

Nice finds BTW, I really like the old dog tag!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also want to get a little foot shovel to help with the digging--much easier than by hand.

Nice finds BTW, I really like the old dog tag!

thanks for the tip. I already have a small foot shovel but I thought homeowners would be freaked out if they saw me hackin away with that. I wanted to go back to search for the ring today but the dumb rain wont let me

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some things want to stay lost! Most of us have been there or will be eventually. I took the label off a blue pill bottle ,added padding and keep it in finds pouch for special finds. Should add reflective and orange tape and a g.p.s. but somehow have not lost it yet... searched a site previously hunted for reading glasses i,d had with me that i usually won,t bring so i don,t rub old coins but had in a pocket by chance. Found them days later where they had fallen out after hunt on truck floor.
Good luck finding it again and congrats on your hunt!.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eric is right, I use that Garrett free finds bag, all the good stuff goes in the little zippered pouch, inside the bag:laughing7: I modififyed mine so it is on its own belt, with my Pro Pointer, holster snapped to it, along with my Lesche holster, just grab and go, its all there:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eric is right, I use that Garrett free finds bag, all the good stuff goes in the little zippered pouch, inside the bag:laughing7: I modififyed mine so it is on its own belt, with my Pro Pointer, holster snapped to it, along with my Lesche holster, just grab and go, its all there:icon_thumleft:

Yes, I bought a military belt with a plastic snap on clip in the front from a military surplus store several years back. Very durable. I have my Garrett pouch to the right, smaller aux pouch to the right of that which can hold a spare set of gloves, zip-lock baggies, etc. On the left my Lesche (which is perfect for hanging my little D handle shovel on), my VibraProbe, and my M-16 bayonet. Like Cooper said, I just grab the belt, snap it on, drop the shovel on my Lesche digger and I'm good to go. The Garrett bag is also very durable and looks nice too!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it!!, right near where i looked frantically last night. Just needed to be calm cool and collect to find it:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread