Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone !

When the coil of a Tesoro Compadre VLF metal detector emits an emf signal into the ground above an iron nail or other piece of ferrous metal, with a gold ring or silver coin beneath, does the signal actually penetrate through the nail, etc. or wrap around it and continue on down to create eddy currents, unmask and signal the good target below ? :icon_scratch:

Thanks !

ToddB64

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I always thought it was magic.
Or, it could be some really technical reason I don't really know but if I had to guess the C still sees the iron, it still is affected by it but when you turn up the disc the recovery speed and separation ability is so good it is able to unmask non ferrous targets around iron...or separate targets better in iron or other metals.
This is why you can listen for the double beep and notice targets even leaning on the big steel metal in tot lots or next to fence poles.

Here is a jaw dropping target I found in a super trashy park one time, I call it jaw dropping because it is the smallest, thinnest, lightest silver ring I have ever dug...POINT 3 grams...notice that, not 3 grams but .3 grams, and it was literally surrounded by park trash specifically sta-tabs and small can slaw.

I can hardly believe the separate beeps I got on at least 3 targets where it laid with just very slight movements of the coil.
This ring was exactly the same as a zinc cent signal, 3:00 on the knob as I dialed past and then down, and it was loud and clear and solid as if a zincoln was just sitting there shallow all by itself.
I look at the size, remember the solid dig me signal I got among the others and I still can hardly believe it.
If the other trash was iron instead I still believe I would have found it just as easily.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1449667295611.jpg
    PicsArt_1449667295611.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I concur the Tesoro's are very sensitive to very small silver items. Even the Outlaw with its 8" coil will pick up on tiny silver, go back and see my post " Your so sensitive " and look at how small the silver items are.
As for the ability of the Compadre to mask the undesireables , I don't have a clue all I know is that it WORKS and WORKS well. Again its magic. Who else makes a detector for $150 dollars that can do what it does? Answer NOBODY.
All Hail the Knob! As long as Tesoro keeps making the Compadre do they really need to make a new detector?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think digger27 is pretty close to how it works. Obviously if the non desirable target is discriminated, the desirable one should give a signal, but a quick recovery is very helpful in this case and the Tesoros I've used all recover quickly. The more you've used your detector and the better you are at recognizing the sound of good targets the better this should all work.
My two bits.
luvsdux

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Digger27 and Hobojo !

Perhaps Terry Solomon or his buddy Rusty Henry at Tesoro will answer my question in post #1.

Seems to me that the Compadre's signal would either penetrate through or wrap around a piece of ferrous metal to signal gold or silver jewelry beneath and the answer to this shouldn't require divulging any proprietary information.

Thanks in advance to whoever knows for sure and gives the answer on this. :wink:

ToddB64

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a beep and dig so you will dig more targets, if you use a machine that you notch out lower conductorconductor you will miss good stuff in the trash,I prefer a multitone with t.i.d #'s and run zero disc and hear the targets with iron. It's more productive.

Your gamma 6000 at about 17-18 set on disc. level will find more in the trash quicker and easier,my opinion.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disclaimer, basically Im a idiot and now that that is out of the way;
Think old style radio, back in the day when you had to dial in a station. Think of a tesoro as a radio with its ability to tune in a specific station and not the others, the frequency that is generated by certain metals when they are excited is the STATION, the DISC knob is the TUNER. So you are just tuning in and tuning out based on a specific frequency( VLF at xKHZ ) Look at the AM dial it goes from 560 am to 1700 am , now think of the dial or knob of the Compadre. The differance is the detector is the transmiter and receiver , able to trasmit and then receive the signal that the station or object in the soil has produced. As you dial up (disc-out) you are only allowing the radio to receive that specific signal , foil, 5 cent, pulltab zinc, etc... Each one is a station on the dial.
So its just my guess that the answer to your question is BOTH , the Freq is going into every thing in the gound and reflecting back that which is excited and then tuning out the other stations that are sending back their signals and that are not tuned into.
Anyway hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Supertraq and Hobojo for your replies on Dec. 10, 2015.

Good Information both and I appreciate the helps ! :wink:

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digger27,

In reference to your post #2, were you using a Compadre with Factory settings or had the Sens. been hyper-tuned ?

Just wondering. :wink:

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ! :)

Returning to my post #1, where I question whether an emf signal actually penetrates through , for example an iron nail, or does it wrap around the nail before continuing down into the soil, well now I am also wondering what part "skin effect" plays, in particular does it have any control over the depth of emf penetration through a metal ?

Thanks for replies.

ToddB64

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, and just speaking for my Compadre, but if I disc to max the machine see's nothing but Silver; Dollar Coins; Half Dollars; Quarters; and Dimes. Like an X-ray, the radio waves pass through everything in the ground, only listening for the stuff I want it to.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[QUOTE by Terry Soloman in post #11 = Well, and just speaking for my Compadre, but if I disc to max the machine see's nothing but Silver; Dollar Coins; Half Dollars; Quarters; and Dimes. Like an X-ray, the radio waves pass through everything in the ground, only listening for the stuff I want it to.
[/QUOTE]

Terry.........Thanks for your above reply, however, how do we know that the radio waves pass through everything in the ground rather than wrapping around ? That's the basic question I'm
asking in my thread-starter post #1.

Even if you have solid proof based on scientific experiments on which to base the passing through premise, does it necessarily follow that the radio waves are still passing through everything in the ground at lower-than-max. disc. settings down the arc to All Metal, or is it possible that the signal begins to wrap around as power begins to drop off with depth and/or the surface area available on tiny metal targets or minerals isn't sufficient to create detectable eddy currents, thereby causing the signal to wrap around these and continue on ?

Thanks,

ToddB64 :)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you called Tesoro's Chief Engineer / President Vince Gifford? If he doesn't actually answer the phone when you call, just ask for him. :thumbsup:

Oh, and sometimes, especially when I have had a little too much weed, I've seen my Compadre coil pull a pistol and tell a screw cap to get off a silver quarter. Scary stuff..

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you called Tesoro's Chief Engineer / President Vince Gifford? If he doesn't actually answer the phone when you call, just ask for him. :thumbsup:

Oh, and sometimes, especially when I have had a little too much weed, I've seen my Compadre coil pull a pistol and tell a screw cap to get off a silver quarter. Scary stuff..

Terry,

No, I haven't called Vince yet, but I probably will if/when this thread dries up.

Just thought I would start here first and see if I could get a definite answer to my question.

Thanks for your efforts to help and a good laugh ! :laughing7:

Todd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread