How does the Garrett Seahunter MKII score

bajan

Greenie
Oct 31, 2004
Barbados
Hi , I am new to this forum. Been reading some very interesting posts/replies.
I have been beach hunting on the dry stuff for 2 years now. However I wish to get into the shallow sea water with a 'wet' machine.
My question is : Anyone here use a Garrett Seahunter MK II?? and if so how does it rate with you??
The Sea Hunter is in my price range. The other unit in this range is the Fisher 1280X aquanaught, but I gather it is a bit finnicky in the sea as opposed to the fresh water.
Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks
Bajan

Upvote 0

Willy

Never used the 1280x, but I've read that it won't do well at all in salt water. The Seahunter, as per it's name, is designed for saltwater hunting. Punch in "seahunter" in the search engine on various forums. ...Willy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sea Hunter Mark II and it's not just good for the sea. It will work in freshwater just as well. It's a PI machine with some ability to discriminate at the risk of losing some targets. I got it late in the season and haven't had a chance to use it much. I used it in a planted club hunt and it did fine in freshwater. It's a little heavy but in water it doesn't matter much. It also workd well on shore. I read a lot of good information on it before I bought it. Divers have recovered several good treasure troves using it. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The control box can be mounted on top, on bottom of the shaft or can be removed and be belt mounted on your waist or shoulder. It also has removable coils and you can buy supplemental coils if you wish. I have the extra 10 1/2" coil for mine. Some machines you cannot change coils, so be aware of that. It is known for being able to reach very deep but I haven't used mine enough to verify it. It will get a workout this summer at the lakes in the area. Monty

OP
OP
bajan

bajan

Greenie
Oct 31, 2004
Barbados
Thanks Guys.
I am more convinced that the Seahunter is the one , since reading your replies Monty.
Bajan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are making the right decision. I have not had that much experience with mine, just listing what I know about it and my very limited experience. I am not necessarily recommending it over one of the more expensive units as I have zero experience with them. I'm just laying out what I know and let you decide. Monty

Water Hunter

Jan 10, 2006
I have had no experience with the Sea Hunter. But I do have a 1280 X took it to Mexico in 2000 and it did not work well in salt water. You get allot of false signals and noises in salt water. I would spend a little more money and get the Sea Hunter. I just received a new Excalibur from Kellyco and am going to the Grand Cayman Islands this month. Can't wait to report back on it. Water Hunter!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread