How does Washington treat those using the outdoors?

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondering how you feel the state of Washington treats those who use the outdoors.... metal detecting, gold panning, fishing ect.?

I stopped in Oregon to check things out for a possible relocation and quite frankly I'm appalled at how average everyday folks are treated here. They have criminality attached to everything dealing with the outdoors. The officials you deal with are absolutely arrogant. All outdoor violations ( fishing, hunting) start off as chargeable MISDEMEANORS! I'm talking mistakenly putting one extra hook on a fishing line.

I was just given a lead on a county park system that was thought to allow metal detecting. I phoned today just to make sure. The director was an arrogant twit and said if you are caught digging you will be arrested. They also charge fees just to use the county park system. I'm not talking for out of the ordinary events, such as concerts ect. but just to walk through the gate and use the park to walk around for exercise.

I have been in many many states in my life and have never seen anything like this. I love this section of the country. The weather, scenery ect. but I can not deal with this nonsense. It's truly appalling.

So what's your opinion on the way Washington treats the general public when the general public tries to make use of the outdoors?

Thanks for any feedback!

HH

grafter

Feb 21, 2009
yelm wa.
Detector(s) used
xlt
washington is a great place to hunt parks.if you call 360-902-8500 you will get the parks dept. and they will send you the info you need to hunt around 67 or so parks. the are nice to deal with and it is free!!!

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info grafter. I just copied down the number and will call tomorrow!

HH

bass99

May 9, 2005
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jocap, did that park happen to be Blue Lake?

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bass99 said:
Hey jocap, did that park happen to be Blue Lake?

There are actually a number of them in the "Jackson County Park System". It was the director of Jackson County parks I spoke with.

Puyallup-Aaron

Greenie
Jul 5, 2008
Puyallup Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I emailed the Director of Ocean shores chamber of commerce last friday ask them if it was legal to Metal detect on the ocean beaches there. I still have not received a response but will let you know when or if I do. I like to go Razor clam digging there and just got my detector last year and would like to try a beach hunt before or after clam diggin.

Two weeks later (3-7-09), no response from Ocean shores chamber of commerce. I guess they don't want people to come spend money in there community!!

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Washington state is the most regulated state in the entire country for outdoor activities. If you have a metal detector, gold pan, fishing pole, backpack, or any other man made item in your possession while outdoors, then there is some state official near by to tell you how you can or can't use it.

I spent one third of my activity in legislation trying to relax some of their over regulated rules. Other wise, it's a great state(of mind) to be in.

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
Washington state is the most regulated state in the entire country for outdoor activities. If you have a metal detector, gold pan, fishing pole, backpack, or any other man made item in your possession while outdoors, then there is some state official near by to tell you how you can or can't use it.

I spent one third of my activity in legislation trying to relax some of their over regulated rules. Other wise, it's a greatb state(of mind) to be in.

It's really good to know this Seamuss. Since my last post here on the subject, I have been talking with a bunch of local people who are all trying to tell me it isn't as bad as it reads in the reg books ect.

I'm still giving this place a chance and playing it by ear for now. I have also done some searches regarding regs and activities in Washington state.

See how it goes for now I guess.

HH

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
jocap said:
Seamuss said:

I spent one third of my activity in legislation trying to relax some of their over regulated rules. Other wise, it's a greatb state(of mind) to be in.

It's really good to know this Seamuss. Since my last post here on the subject, I have been talking with a bunch of local people who are all trying to tell me it isn't as bad as it reads in the reg books ect.

I'm still giving this place a chance and playing it by ear for now. I have also done some searches regarding regs and activities in Washington state.

See how it goes for now I guess.

HH
Hi, We have new prospecting rules in this state that have a mixed bag of opinions to them. The dredging rules suck at best. The panning and sluicing rules are rolled back to where they should have been in the first place. Am I satisfied with these rules, panning and sluicing yes. Dredging, no, the state thinks they can supercede federal mining laws of eighteen seventy two1872.

MDing rules. We can MD in the state parks because most of them are open for it. The state park rangers themselves are sometimes ill informed as to what these rules are and have to be shown the rules by the people in the hobby to know the rules.

I am not the boogy monster trying to scare anyone away from the hobby in this state. I am probable showing to much of my opinion of state officials attitude toward our hobbies in this state. Please feel free to check out what this state has to offer, and enjoy it.

I heard the feds and the state officials say once to often,"We're the government,we're here to help." It's just my opinion and I should probable keep a short leash on it. What do you think.

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
I found out last year you cannot use a metal detector on
B.L.M. lands. Yet, you can shoot a firearm there. Jimbob

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
jimbob450 said:
I found out last year you cannot use a metal detector on
B.L.M. lands. Yet, you can shoot a firearm there. Jimbob
Dido.
Our rights brought to you by the leftist right wing pinko's of Washington state.
We the over ruled, under previliged, upstanding citizens of the great Northwest.
We are outstanding.... in the rain. While the elete have rust on their mind and rule with an iron spoon in their mouth.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
I moved here from Colorado, what a disappointment in how outdoor folks are treated. First you need carry a booklet when your out prospecting. Second; have to check with state parks web site on which parks allow metal detecting or not.

Now you are telling me that metal detecting BLM or National forest land is off limits! Why? These are to be open lands for the people not for the wants and needs of some idiot who just graduated from college who has no common sense.

Here is a good one; Friend of mine was practicing his fly fishing skills along the Columbia River. A fish and game warden stopped to inform him he had to stop or would be issued a ticket for harassing the fish. WHAT is going on here?

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,191
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,186

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
49er said:
I moved here from Colorado, what a disappointment in how outdoor folks are treated. First you need carry a booklet when your out prospecting. Second; have to check with state parks web site on which parks allow metal detecting or not.

Now you are telling me that metal detecting BLM or National forest land is off limits! Why? These are to be open lands for the people not for the wants and needs of some idiot who just graduated from college who has no common sense.

Here is a good one; Friend of mine was practicing his fly fishing skills along the Columbia River. A fish and game warden stopped to inform him he had to stop or would be issued a ticket for harassing the fish. WHAT is going on here?
Here in Washington state we have the enironmentalist that want everthing shut down. Environmental groups that (mis)use domain law to confiscate property. The yuppies that want to feel good with rules that don't make sence. And the democrats that think any rule is a good rule to controle the mass's.

I'm glad that we still have the court system to make the state follow the federal laws when the state makes flawed rule to over ride federal rules.

If we are enjoying the forest in large numbers and I hear the beep of a detector sounding off......"I didn't see a thing officer, honestly officer, I didn't see it."

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
The Peoples Republic of Washington is a beautiful place.............to visit. everything is against some type of law here. I am a pretty avid outdoorsman, and I spend about half of my "Ourdoors" time reading regs. What a lot of people don't realize, is that it's not just Washington thing.....all states are getting this way. The US is quickly becoming a tree hugger nation.

Paul

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
let me define "Tree Hugger" a bit for you.......Tree huggers are people that don't want us in the woods period. They want you to go to work, stay within city limits, and do as they say. I guess maybe they are called Democrats.

Maybe they should lead by example.........
don't want mining?.....then don't use anything that is mined.
want all guns banned?.......don't look to the police or military for protection
don't want any logging?......don't use any wood products
PETA?.......don't even get me going on that one
don't like whats on TV.....turn it off

Washington is the most people unfriendly place I have ever been to, and there aren't many places I haven't been. If it wasn't for the fact that my kids are here, I would have left long ago. But they are here & I try to make the best of it. The state motto here should be "If it makes you smile, we"ll make it illegal"

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I know that you can metal detect in most state parks you just have to fill out a simple form ang give it to the park ranger. It's a PDF file, I just can't find the place on the WEB for it right now. Also I contacted the Tacoma parks dept and they say no problem as long as you don't tear the place up.

Oldhouse1890

Apr 14, 2009
Hi Washingtonians (wet or dry). I'm wet myself in Tacoma. Just wanted to ask about the Tacoma City Parks reply above. I called them today and asked if it was OK to MD in the parks. The person I was talking to said "Wait, let me ask." She asked someone else there and came back and said "No" nowhere in Tacoma City Parks is it legal. Man, now I AM confused about it.

Oldhouse1890

Apr 14, 2009
thanks oldfireguy
Yes, you are right. I found the email that was posted from the Tacoma Parks Dept saying that it is OK. I will just carry that with me, and call them to verify what they are saying. I want to do Wright's Park.

ScootPirate

Jul 19, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 / Ace 250
Oldhouse1890 said:
thanks oldfireguy
Yes, you are right. I found the email that was posted from the Tacoma Parks Dept saying that it is OK. I will just carry that with me, and call them to verify what they are saying. I want to do Wright's Park.

Can you post or PM me with a copy of that Email. I would like to carry a copy also. Tks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread