How Does Your Garden Grow?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one of my favroite hobbies, I have a leanto greenhouse, that I've managed to keep garlic,lettus,stevia and a pomagrante plant growing all winter even though its unheated.I've started peppers several varities, and tomatoes in the house. Once it warms up a little I will plant tigger,piel del sapo, juan canary, crenshaw and water melons, plus I have a banana plant that I will move into the green house to spend the summer. I also have mint and lemon balm, and this year I've been propagating grapes. I continue to add stuff all the time, I'll be growing quite a bit in containers

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, homegrown. Always the best! :thumbsup:

I hate payin' for what I can grow myself....(Damn me and the "preppers") :laughing7:

Got seeds? Wanna do some swappin'?
I got extra carrot and radish seeds....Whadda you got?

Best,
Scott

PS. Speaking of "preppers," What do you know of distillation and brewing? :hello2:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just dug the parsnips and tilled one of our gardens. For March 20th that's unheard of. Usually we're still frozen or awash in Spring rains.

Read for planting peas this weekend. Woo Hoo.

Attachments

• DSCN0271 (640x468).jpg
    DSCN0271 (640x468).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 236

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :hello2: :headbang: Awright , all of you ! Like Charlie , I am starting at an unheard of time in my area . All spring work on the farm is slammin me in the booty . By the time I get my asparagus beds prepped it's going to be too late to plant this year . Chives are ready for first cut . Hope to get peas in the dirt this weekend . I'm gonna be cautious about planting
more this early .

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never plant before June first, up in northern NY, that's what me grampappy always said and I'm stickin to it. The weather will stick it to ya in the end if you get too anxious. Beware.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :hello2: :headbang: Awright , all of you ! Like Charlie , I am starting at an unheard of time in my area . All spring work on the farm is slammin me in the booty . By the time I get my asparagus beds prepped it's going to be too late to plant this year . Chives are ready for first cut . Hope to get peas in the dirt this weekend . I'm gonna be cautious about planting
more this early .

'sparagus....mmmmm....

Scott

PS. word around the campfire is that too much asparagus will cause urine to have, well, a distinct aroma....

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure about other parts of the country but here, the dept of ag has revised our planting zone from 7A to 7B, usually we can't put anything out till after mothers day, so I'll just have to wait and see if I dare put it out sooner. I could send you some melon seeds and giant sunflower if you would like.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
AU24K said:
truckinbutch said:
more this early .

'sparagus....mmmmm....

Scott

PS. word around the campfire is that too much asparagus will cause urine to have, well, a distinct aroma....
Campfire word is correct . Not an issue at our house . We dispose of it immediately :laughing9:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
You are wasting the best fertilizer there is. Urine is the best. Using a 5 gallon bucket, filled with charcoal to neutralize the odor, then pour the urine through the charcoal and strain through a screen to filter out the charcoal. Mixing with organic matter, such as composted material, can't be beat for all types of gardening. Some people also granulate the charcoal and use it in the mix also. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put in a row of carrots and radishes last night.
Am I too late, too early or just in time?

Best,
Scott

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Green onions , elephant garlic , and sweet peas we planted last week are poking their heads up today . Harvested a shopping bag full of chives today .
Hint: Quick mashed potatoes ; nuke 3 lbs of taters like for baked . When cool enough to touch the skins will slip off vs peeling raw . Chunk them into the mixer bowl . Add handfull of fresh chopped chives , sour cream , cheddar cheese , bacon bits , garlic , salt , pepper and mix with mixer . Reheat a few seconds in the nuke . Be prepared to stand flatfooted and slap your grandma after the first bite .

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just planted two tomato plants and four pepper plants.
Hoping for the best....

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread