how effective is whites mxt pro for gold prospecting

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Hi every one I am very new to prospecting and curretly looking to buy new detector I currently live in Australia. I was thinking of the mxt becouse it is so versatile and I would like to use it for mostly gold prospecting for when I go on hikes but I would also like to do some beach hunts.
If any one has used a mxt pro for gold or know of some one id love to hear what they think cheers..

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yah, the MXT being a multi purpose machine can be used as a gold detector with a suitable coil but if gold is the primary objective, I would recommend the GMT or GB Pro.

OP
OP
MangaRang

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
My friend owns a gmt and it is a great machine and it finds super small nugets which is great but I hear the mxt pick up fair like .2 gram nuggets easy I dont think I be super intrested on chasing much smaller flakes than that. But im a nooby so im not sure if that is correct.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yah, the MXT being a multi purpose machine can be used as a gold detector with a suitable coil but if gold is the primary objective, I would recommend the GMT or GB Pro.
GB Pro is about the same level as the MXT....not better. GB Pro is no match for the GMT. To equal the GMT, and surpass both the MXT and GB Pro, you need the Gold Bug 2. It's all about the operating frequencies when it comes to finding small gold. GMT 48 khz. GB2 73khz. MXT 14khz. GB Pro 19khz. For a good comparison, by a guy who really knows prospecting, go here:
http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm#.UeqkYW3OARZ
Jim

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would agree with you in the gold detecting hierarchy that you mentioned, but for all around type machine's the MXT and the F75 are the two best right now. They do gold prospecting well as well as everything else.

OP
OP
MangaRang

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Thx for that jim the info was great.. I still really like the mxt pro specially with the ground grab. I know its not gona find super small nugets but the article says its better for medium nuggets + I can put a differnt coil on it for gold prospecting and take it to the beach with salt..

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you could do a lot worse than the MXT Pro. When it comes down to finding gold, the person who puts in the most effort finds the most. Learn that detector really well, and do your research when you can't get out, and go find some.
Jim

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MXT pro is a different story, I found mine lacking... Original MXT did a better job going after gold..

OP
OP
MangaRang

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Why is the mxt pro worse then mxt e?? I thought the coil is better and the ground grab is great button from what I hear im pretty sure there both 14.7 khz?

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MXT pro is a different story, I found mine lacking... Original MXT did a better job going after gold..

for me the Relic normal and alternate mode feature is great on the older mxt, two sat speeds at the tip of your finger

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Since you haven't bought a Detector so far. How about a Minelab. They will probably find more Gold if you do your research. Minelab Detector ,you will need a Bigger Treasure Chest ( S A F E ).goldnugget

OP
OP
MangaRang

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
I was looking at the mindlab xterra 705 gold seems like a good machine, but its looks hard to use and the coil selection is not that good compared to the mxt have has any one used both machines??

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget that with White's you have a better coil selection and a better customer support than with Minelab

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Chin, Whites has an unbeatable customer service, the MXT Pro grab button in prospecting mode is nice, and the small shooter coil works really well, i found this little guy with my GMT this morning, even though i us my MXT P for parks and beachs mostly i know it will pick this up

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
MangaRang

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Im pretty keennin buying the mxt pro I have been ready up on xterra 705 its jice but to many tones and buttons looks like it would break after a few years lol and from what I seen looks like it would do my head in MXT PRO all the way.. with a sef 10x12 detech coil..

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im pretty keennin buying the mxt pro I have been ready up on xterra 705 its jice but to many tones and buttons looks like it would break after a few years lol and from what I seen looks like it would do my head in MXT PRO all the way.. with a sef 10x12 detech coil..

the MXT is built like a tank, the only counter-part of that is a bit of weight, but it is a very well-balanced machine

Mar 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
White MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you haven't bought a Detector so far. How about a Minelab. They will probably find more Gold if you do your research. Minelab Detector ,you will need a Bigger Treasure Chest ( S A F E ).goldnugget

Hi, I'm brand new here and I was actually searching for info on a good gold coil for my mxt pro and thought I'd reply to you because I do have both mxt pro and xterra 705.

The 705 is my ladies and the mxt is mine. When we go hunting in parks we tease each other on who's is better but honestly they are both pretty equal, at least in parks with standard stock coils. To answer your question, The 705 is awesome. I love it because it's fun to use. It's not hard at all to learn. There is a great video you can watch on the minelab youtube channel Google, "How to Find Gold - Quick Start Guide Minelab X-TERRA 705 Gold Detector"

Unfortunately I can't tell you the the small details while using gold coils because I have no gold coils for either detector. That's my plan though this year. But over all, These are two awesome detectors but I wouldn't spend anymore money on these already overpriced devices. What really made me wake up to the hype of some of these overpriced machines is the fact that my buddy has a less than $200 bounty hunter and he was pulling up deeper and better signals than both of my machines. lol $200 vs $7-800 I rest my case. This could be simply because the bounty hunter has a cheaper more boring screen, and you are paying for the more advanced screen and style and just need to upgrade coils but still kinda disappointing to see that a detector that cheap is keeping up with these detectors. lol

So point being, be wise with your money and get only what you really need. If I had to choose between MXT and 705, I'd go with 705 ONLY because it seems to be a little more advanced with the gold coil setup & system. I forget exactly but it automatically switches to the correct frequency when you attach gold coil, something to that effect. (cant remember) Plus it's super light weight, and fun to use. Other than that, they are equal and both fun and reliable MT's.

I spoke with Kevin Hoagland from Minelab, who has a few great teaching videos on the 705 I think you can view on youtube or the minelab website. He is actually one of the reasons I really like the 705. He convinced me this was a unique and very accurate/reliable machine. After using it I have to agree. I can't wait to use it with a gold coil. My problem is the rivers up here in the cascades (Washington State) Stupid black river rocks are a curse to finding gold near the rivers. I may end up getting involved in mini dredging and sluecing cause these metal detecors arent working in the rivers. Maybe I need to learn more about tuning the iron out or something but I'm not sure you can tune this signal strength out, I'm still a noob. who knows?

Hope this helps just a little at least:)

Mar 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
White MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the MXT is built like a tank, the only counter-part of that is a bit of weight, but it is a very well-balanced machine
I agree with that. Great and fun machine in the parks.

Mar 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
White MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Chin, Whites has an unbeatable customer service, the MXT Pro grab button in prospecting mode is nice, and the small shooter coil works really well, i found this little guy with my GMT this morning, even though i us my MXT P for parks and beachs mostly i know it will pick this up
WHat type of terrain did you find that may I ask? I'm near the cascade mountains in Washington and going to start using my mxt up in the mountains. What was the signal and icon that popped up on your screen with that little guy?
thanks for any info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread