How far south in Michigan till the frost is out?

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Looks like a lot of people in Michigan are digging. In isabella county the frost is stubborn. Wherever I check its 2 to 4" of thawed slop sitting on top of an inpenatrable layer of rock hard frost. I will be in the St.John's and Perry areas on Friday March 20, and looking at the 10 day forecast the weather is going to be in the 40's in the day and below freezing at night with the next couple days getting into the teens at night.
What lattitude by town name is the frost receeded enough to make things bearable?

Thanks,
Zooka

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I think it depends on where you go. I have been out the last few weekends. Keeps refreezing. Woods with heavy leaves are the easiest digging. If you go in a field its only thawed about three inches. I thought it would get better with all the rain, it made it worse, freezing at night . High ground with good drainage (and lots of trees) seems the best. I am about 25 miles north of Detroit.

M

michigan michael

I am right on the Michigan, Ohio border. It goes from frozen to mush from day to day. You go out one day and the ground is like concrete. The next day you are slopping through mud puddles and the ground is mush. I will take it though. Its better than frozen all the time.

OP
OP
B

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks guys. Really getting anxious to pop some finds!! Good luck to y'all.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
MichiganRob said:
I dug yesterday in Muskegon, no problem, thawed

HH
MichiganRob
Most places are easy digging right now on the left coast. There are some areas that are shaded that are still frozen. I heard a nasty rumor that it is supposed to get cold again later next week. >:(
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread