How fast do you swing your coil?

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard many people say that you should swing your detector slow to get the best results, but how slow is "slow"? I would say that one arc from left to right in my swing plane takes approx 2 seconds to complete. I have decent results with that speed, but I'm curious what others use for their swing speed. I imagine different machines call for different speeds, so I'm curious to know what you use and how fast or slow you swing it.

P.S. I use a Minelab E-trac.

Happy Hunting!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard crazy stories of Explorer/E-trac users going 4-5 seconds per swing. A lot depends on how wide your swing is, but mine is just under 2 seconds for a full swing.

I tend to swing about twice as fast as the average user and often have double the finds as well. But, all of this changes if I am in extreme trash or iron filled fields. I swing slower then. But for parks, I swing pretty darn fast, way faster than most people. The only other Explorer user I know that swings like me also makes great finds. I'm at 96 silver so far this year on pretty limited detecting and almost all public property. I get out weekends and not every weekend at that, so my finds are from about 2 months of detecting weekends.

Swing at a good clip and listen for the tones and you will do well. Once you learn, you should be confident in being able to find 3-5 silver in a day of hunting and have random great days of 10+ silver.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Slowwwww. Very slow :wink:

I guess I should let people believe this. I do enjoy them spending ALL day hunting and finding no old coins while I find 30 old coins right next to them. It's nice to have them waste their time and clean out some more trash to get it out of my way.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree with bazinga, I swing a bit on the quick side until I hear a tone I like then slow it down a bit.

I also like swinging from right to left, when I'm tired of that I'll go from left to right :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions