Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Gang ! :hello:

Has anyone tried one of those Ultrasonic Cleaners, item #3305, capacity = one pint, selling now for $29.99 on the HF website ? They also sell a companion item #91593 Cleaning Powder, 6 oz. bottle, for $4.99.

I looked at the Manual for the Ultrasonic Cleaner model #3305 on the HF website, but the Specifications do not show the sound frequency produced by the transducer, item 20 of Parts List.

So I phoned the HF Technical Dept. at 1-888-866-5797 and was told that the sound frequency produced by that machine is 42,000 Hz (or 42 Khz), which is within the normal range for Ultrasonic Cleaners (20Khz to 400Khz, according to Wikipedia.). Wikipedia also advises that the average human hearing range is 20 to 20,000 Hz (or .02 to 20 Khz), just for comparison.

I've never tried an Ultrasonic cleaner myself........just wondering if they would do a good job on nasty clad dug pennies like the two in my photo below.

Replies appreciated. :wink:

Todd

Attachments

• Nasty Clad Dug Pennies.jpg
    Nasty Clad Dug Pennies.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 821

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to try it for you, although, I do not have the HF cleaning fluid. I work on motorcycles and I "boil" the carbs in a HF sonic cleaner.....I think it may be the bigger one than you have because it is usually $49 - $59 on sale. My carbs won't fit in the little one. I can tell you that the larger one is the exact same thing they sell at Lyman's for $150!! Another thing, I use 'Simple Green' cleaner in mine from Wally World. It still looks and works very well, but, it is getting a little dirty.

I know one thing that does work wonders on clad pennies and that is the 6 lb. capacity double roller tumbler rock cleaner/polisher from Harbor Freight. It, too, is about $59 on sale. I use aquarium gravel, the sharp stuff.....it gets round soon enough. Just lately, I threw in about 4 heaping tablespoons of Bon Ami cleanser (powder like Comet or Ajax, but, not as coarse). I ran these pennies for 24 hours and they came out looking great. I wouldn't do this to some fine silver, but, for clad.....heck, anything that works!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a higher priced unit with heated tank for about ten years now with great results. Just last year I found the cleaning powder at HF. It works great. I've been buying & reselling mostly costume jewelry for awhile now. I got the HF unit to help. Some weeks I'm cleaning 200+ pieces.

Simple Green works good for greasy oily stuff, but switched to First Street Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser from Smart & Final. It's cheaper than Simple Green, it's approved for restaurant grills etc. $4 - $5 a gallon. 1/4 cup or less cleans a handful of nuts & bolts just as good as new. If you're doing restoring, it'll remove paint along with the schmega without damaging the item.

Hint: if you're doing small delicate items like antique frat pins. make up some wires to suspend the item instead of throwing it in loose to prevent abrasion from vibrating on the tank bottom. I make mine out of spring steel wire used for controls on RC planes. I make bends to hold 7 pins like Lions club or masonic pins then put 6 or 7 in the tank.

Hint 2: If you're doing small pieces or pieces with stones, go to the dollar store & get one of those strainer screens that fit in the sink drain (worth their weight in gold). Sometimes a stone pops out or you end up dropping something. Saves having to take the trap off a time or two or three................ ;D

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Roland58 and boogeyman..........great information ! :thumbsup:

I think I should probably go for the 6 lb. capacity double roller tumbler rock cleaner/polisher from Harbor Freight and watch for the $59.00 sale !

ToddB64

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sign up at HF for the email notices for discounts & fill out the card when you make your next gotsta trip (gotsta have it). If you get the tumbler, grab a package of replacement belts too. The ones HF use don't last a long time. I moded mine by grinding the slots for the motor mount bolts about 1/4" longer & use the replacemnt belts for the Red Devil Dust Busters. These belts last at least five times longer than the HF ones. If you decide on the vibrator tumbler, first thing take the tub off & the rubber pad. Silicone the rubber pad liberally to the base then the same between the pad & the tub. Will save you having to re-tighten the tub all the time. Haven't done it to mine but my buddy replaced his rod with a S/S rod his stripped the threads.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boogeyman said:
Sign up at HF for the email notices for discounts & fill out the card when you make your next gotsta trip (gotsta have it). If you get the tumbler, grab a package of replacement belts too. The ones HF use don't last a long time.

I heard this about the belts when I bought mine online and ordered extra belts.....4 or 5 of them. What I didn't know was that the tumbler came with 4 extra belts! I have used mine quite a bit in the year that I have had it, quite a few pounds of clad have been tumbled and I have never had a belt failure....I'm still on the original belt. One thing I have done differently is putting a small fan to blow on the cooling plates above the motor and circulate air inside the motor/drive housing, plus, I took the end plate off and greased the bearings on the drive bar and idler bar. Did this make the belt last longer? I don't know, but, it sure didn't hurt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread